• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooking Steak with Simple Implements

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have an average frying pan with plastic handles and an electric stove. God I hate dorms. Besides that I can shop for seasonings and most ingredients.

Under these circumstances, what is the best way to cook steak? Any suggestions for special techniques/ingredients I should use?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
salt and pepper and get a good sear going, hot as you can, before turning it down to medium heat to finish cooking. flame control is tough with electric though.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Try the opposite, long cooking over low to m-low heat. Really makes a nice steak. Works best with thick steaks.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
wouldn't he get that awful grey colored steak by that method potentially?

Raoul Duke

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

Agreed, I always sear before turning down the heat.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sear, rest under foil, finish in oven

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a technique posted on egullet where they cooked a steak over medium heat in a bunch of butter and spooned butter over it as it cooked.

Or at least I think thats what they did.

Most important I think is to get a good cut of meat. Do that and you are 70% there.

K

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What you have is perfectly fine for making a steak. The electric range will get more than hot enough, the pan is not ideal but it doesn't really matter. It's more about timing than equipment.

What you want is a crust browned to oblivion, and still soft to the touch on the inside (med rare). For me, this is about 4 minutes on the first side and another 2-3 on the other. a proper 5-10 min rest will also work wonders.

and open your windows. a properly cooked steak produces a lot of smoke

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07

No, I have done this many times. The outside gets nicely browned without any carbonization, and the inside is pink. Indeed, this method avoids the inevitable gray band caused by searing.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
awesome guys, thanks for all the help. I'm going to try both manton's and kunk's techniques - heat control indeed is spotty when you're talking electric but I feel that with multiple burners I could have one on super hot for a sear, then just move to a burner that's set on medium-low to finish it off.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What would be the exact temp for M-low, and about how long at m-low for the steak?

mgoose

Reaction score
I do this rather frequently. I like to salt my steak about an hour before I cook it. Get the frying pan as hot as you can and sear each side to lock in the juices and minimize their loss.

Once it's seared I place it on an alumnium foil-lined baking **** and coat it with olive oil and bake it in the oven for a few minutes.

I realize it's not grilling but it can work rather well and you gen get a pretty good piece of meat out of it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Searing meat does not lock in juices. It actually results in greater net loss of moisture versus other cooking methods that achieve the same internal temperature. That said, it's still important to sear b/c the browning (aka maillard reaction) makes the meat taste hella good, the appearance is improved, and the contrast in texture between the rough crust and the softer interior makes the food more interesting to the mouth. Anyway, much more important to moisture/juiciness is allowing the meat to rest after cooking before cutting it.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't cook steak in the dorms... if it's anything like mine, the kitchenettes have no/very little ventilation. I am ashamed to admit that I set off the fire alarm in the middle of the day and two entire floors had to evacuate.

EDIT: No, nothing was burnt either, just cooked steak like one normally would and produced a substantial amount of smoke (nothing compared to what I would at home though).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads