• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cooking Rice

cmrocks

Reaction score
Does anyone have any tips on how I can make my rice a bit more interesting? My standard dinner is meat, veggies and rice. I usually put a bit of hot sauce on my rice and eat it as is. I'd like to find some interesting ways to spice it up that don't require a lot of work. Any tips?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Instead of adding water to the rice put in broth or add soy sauce to teh rice

huy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dragon8
Instead of adding water to the rice put in broth or add soy sauce to teh rice

Yup, add some chicken broth when you are cooking the rice. You can even add some pieces of chicken in there while the rice is cooking.

IUtoSLU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Saffron

My roommate in college and I did that once. It turned out pretty good. I would recommend it to anyone who is willing to spend the $.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
get a korean rice cooker/pressure cooker. and you can make porridge and even soup.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a little rice vinegar can make the rice fluffier

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Basically, you can either add some more interesting liquid, or you add some savory element.

As to the liquid, stock is idea. If using store-bought broth, the best in Swanson Certified Organic. NB: all store beef stock sucks, and beef shouldn't be used on rice anyway.

A mix of stock and white wine (at least twice as much stock as wine) can be nice.

Onion (any color) and shallot is nice, as are mushrooms.

Butter is also a big plus.

For Spanish rice, add finely diced tomato and all the liquid.

Septavius

Reaction score
Once I tried mixing rice and mashed potatoes. It was suprisingly good, although rather rich in carbs.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Does anyone have any tips on how I can make my rice a bit more interesting? My standard dinner is meat, veggies and rice. I usually put a bit of hot sauce on my rice and eat it as is. I'd like to find some interesting ways to spice it up that don't require a lot of work. Any tips?

Definitely.

Try a few things:

Lemon zest with cilantro.

Chicken stock.

Saffron, is probably the most obvious choice.

Or, just put in a little strainer at the bottom of a pot on top of some mirepoix and do it that way. In fact, if you chop it finely enough, I think that would actually work out quite nicely.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.8%
  • 31 - 40