Cooking for yourself...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by itsstillmatt, Aug 15, 2009.

1. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

A few nights ago I was on my own for dinner and decided to have what I normally eat for breakfast. At other times I'll often purchase those frozen bags of veggies with chicken that can be microwaved or order a pizza. I hate cooking, so when I'm on my own for dinner it's either breakfast or something very simple.

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I cook for myself often. I have "breakfast for dinner" once or twice a week, steak once or twice, and a chicken breast with some sort of salad/side every now and then.

3. gomestar

gomestar Super Yelper

it's usually only me +1, but the 1 is away on vacation for the next week.

some ideas I plan to utilize:
    grilled cheese (inspired by another thread)
    stir fry
    breakfast for dinner
    take-out (great thing about NYC is even higher-end restaurants will still deliver)
    make a pizza
    eggplant (slice thin, dip in egg, dip in flower, pan fry in some olive oil. serve with some sauce - delicious)
    pasta w/ sautÃ[​IMG]ed veggies and copious amounts of cheese
    with the leftover stir fry rice, fry it up in a hot pan w/ 2 eggs, loads of random veggies, soy sauce, fish sauce (just a drop or two), and then Rooster sauce to finish.

4. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I usually get creative with a salad when cooking for myself. I either take a piece of salmon or a steak, sear it in the cast iron pan, and eat it along with a big salad. The meat is essentially the side dish.

And I don't see why one would even buy dressings anymore, considering how easy a vinaigrette is made at home - in three minutes.

5. The Wayfarer

The Wayfarer Senior member

I'm still stepping into the culinary world one ingredient at a time. With about four years experience of cooking for myself on a regular basis, I've become pretty good in general, great at a few select dishes, not so great at others, and continuously learning something new with each unfamiliar meal I try to take on. Today, for example, I realized habaneros have a sweet, citrus-y, almost peach-like flavor despite the intense spice. Did not now that -- not until I had already mixed them in with my Southwest Mac & Cheese I fixed myself for lunch (made everything from scratch, including the pasta) to spice up the dish a bit. Didn't entirely ruin the meal, but it wasn't exactly ideal either. Won't be doing that again. I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've learned to cook by a lot of trial and error. EDIT: Here are a few old threads on ideas for easy, every day meals you may find useful. http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=81722 http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=130981

6. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'm still stepping into the culinary world one ingredient at a time. With about four years experience of cooking for myself on a regular basis, I've become pretty good in general, great at a few select dishes, not so great at others, and continuously learning something new with each unfamiliar meal I try to take on. Today, for example, I realized habaneros have a sweet, citrus-y, almost peach-like flavor despite the intense spice. Did not now that -- not until I had already mixed them in with my Southwest Mac & Cheese I fixed myself for lunch (made everything from scratch, including the pasta) to spice up the dish a bit. Didn't entirely ruin the meal, but it wasn't exactly ideal either. Won't be doing that again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I've learned to cook by a lot of trial and error.

EDIT: Here are a few old threads on ideas for easy, every day meals you may find useful.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=81722
    http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=130981

That pretty much sums up the requirement for a good cook. I believe that the fear of making these mistakes is what keeps a lot of people from attempting to cook.

7. Intelligent Design

Intelligent Design Senior member

When cooking for myself I will usually make dinner for three and then eat it over a period of three days. It's usually something simple, chicken with some sort of home made sauce, and steamed rice.

I feel you on the lack of motivation for cooking though; the way it flies when alone is unreasonable.

8. Douglas

Douglas Stupid ass member

Works great on those lonely nights with just you and Grey's Anatomy.

please o god please let this be a joke

9. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I feel the same laziness about cooking just for myself. To overcome it, I cook some treats--a steak, duck breast, some perfect lamb chops, whatever. I also make things that I like and my better half doesn't.

10. tricota

tricota Senior member

When cooking for one, for me it's a matter of speed and easy cleanup. Alton Brown's steak recipe here works great for this purpose. The steak is done in less than five minutes. Roasted herbed potatoes round out the meal.

Very OT I know, but what is up with the Kosher salt? I seem evrywhere I look at the moment, people are using Kosher salt....[​IMG] Did I miss a memo or something`?

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Very OT I know, but what is up with the Kosher salt? I seem evrywhere I look at the moment, people are using Kosher salt....[​IMG] Did I miss a memo or something`?

It tends to come in larger crystals, so a teaspoon of it is actually a little less than a teaspoon of "normal" salt, which is much finer grained.

If memory serves, Kosher salt was designed to basically coat the top of a piece of meat, pulling out all the blood (juices) possible. For some reason, the bigger crystals were supposed to do this better. I could be totally off base, but that's what I remember.

12. philosophe

philosophe Senior member

I think that Pio is right about the kashering process.

I use kosher salt in cooking because its texture adds some crunch. It's good for getting a nice crust on grilled meat.

13. tricota

tricota Senior member

It tends to come in larger crystals, so a teaspoon of it is actually a little less than a teaspoon of "normal" salt, which is much finer grained.

If memory serves, Kosher salt was designed to basically coat the top of a piece of meat, pulling out all the blood (juices) possible. For some reason, the bigger crystals were supposed to do this better. I could be totally off base, but that's what I remember.

So a bit like sea salt? That seems to also be in larger flakes...

14. Gene22

Gene22 Active Member

I believe that kosher salt is not only a larger granule but also hollow as well. I've noticed that when "sprinkling" salt on things it is vastly superior for the control factor. Of course, like previously mentioned, it doesn't measure the same as table salt. So for baking only, it's all about maintaining the formula and using table salt.

15. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Peanut butter & jelly sandwich. I cook enough when it's the two of us. It's either something simple like that or take out.