• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cooking Alligator

SoundItOff

Reaction score
So I have a big piece of alligator tail that I bought at the market here and I was going to try and cook it up tonight. The only problem is I'm not exactly sure how or what way I want to cook it...

Any of you guys have any good recipes for marinades or spices to use? I know there's a few chefs or aspiring chefs on this site. It's a beautiful day outside, should I grill it? I'm open to pretty much any ideas, the only two things I really don't want to do are deep fry it or use it in a stew.

Thanks!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
It's hard not to fry it or put it in a stew (or sausage). It's an extremely chewy meat. It's really really good though, and served in many restaurants around here.

aizan

Reaction score
mmm...alligator gumbo sounds good right about now. what'd you end up cooking?

SoundItOff

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up just marinating it in a mixture of milk and several different kinds of pepper, then grilling it outside and serving with a Greek style salad.

It really wasn't chewy at all or anything, just used a little bit of habanero sauce on top and it was perfect.
smile.gif

I'll probably buy some more and try deep frying like Whodini suggested, the reason I didn't want to do that this time or use it in a stew is because I really didn't want to mask the flavor that much with too many other things

jpeirpont

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoundItOff
Thanks for the input guys.

I ended up just marinating it in a mixture of milk and several different kinds of pepper, then grilling it outside and serving with a Greek style salad.

It really wasn't chewy at all or anything, just used a little bit of habanero sauce on top and it was perfect.
smile.gif

I'll probably buy some more and try deep frying like Whodini suggested, the reason I didn't want to do that this time or use it in a stew is because I really didn't want to mask the flavor that much with too many other things

Don't sound half bad, sounds rather good actually.
You'll it fried too. I like mine fried with a flour coating opposed to batter which I've seen done on occasion. Living in the North I'm not sure which is most traditional.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoundItOff

smile.gif

Sounds good. I'll have to try it sometime.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As others have said, fried is definitely good. I've also had it blackened, which was quite tasty.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had it blackened once, quite good, IMO. Other than that, deep fry is the way to go. Gator and rabbit taste remarkably like chicken to me. So I don't even see the point of eating these two meats anymore.

b99flick

Reaction score
like a couple others have said before, blackened is a great option for gator if you are looking for an alternative to the fried option

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does brilliantly well as a curry. Otherwise I'd marinate and sear, maybe do a sherry reduction.

Mild Mannered

Reaction score
I'll take the tail skin if you're not using it. It would make a perfect condom for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads