• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Convincing a friend not to buy a CK suit...

Spencer Young

Reaction score
A friend wants thoughts on a Calvin Klein suit at Bluefly:
http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID

I know he can do better for $680, but I'm not sure precisely how (and how to convince him of this). Broad brand-based attacks probably won't convince him. How can I convince him that this suit will be a bad choice? I know Bluefly routinely overstates their price/discount, and that the suit is probably fused. He's lived in London and can appreciate good tailoring.

Does anybody have any other thoughts on the suit, experiences with CK suits, or other possibilities in that pricerange (I'm guessing Canali?)

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let him buy it, then mock him for the rest of his life.
wink.gif

khaller

Reaction score
Let him browse this forum for a few hours. That worked for me when I was considering buying a Brooks Bros. suit a few weeks ago. Beware of the side effects, however; e.g. shoe fetishes, obsession with thrift stores, spending his retirement savings on ebay.
crazy.gif

kitonbrioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talk to him that there's a difference between fashion and style. Good style lasts for years. Take him to RL Polo, Saks, Barneys, NM, etc now that sales are own and show him how much quality and style he can get for $650.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by khaller
Let him browse this forum for a few hours. That worked for me when I was considering buying a Brooks Bros. suit a few weeks ago. Beware of the side effects, however; e.g. shoe fetishes, obsession with thrift stores, spending his retirement savings on ebay.
crazy.gif

yes, but whats wrong with a brooks bros suit?

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is your friend in St. Louis too? Drive to Saks in Chicago. For that price, I just bought two Zegna Z line suits, which, while no Brioni, are better, IMO, than something like CK. For $700, your friend could probably get a regular Zegna there, or an Armani, or a lot of other great suits, because tomorrow begins the 50% off of the lowest price on all sale stuff.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy

Nothing, I just think there are better suits for the money if you are talking about paying retail for a BB suit.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
Is your friend in St. Louis too? Drive to Saks in Chicago.

That's a looooonnnggg drive.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
That's a looooonnnggg drive.

Yea, but it's nothing when the alternative is a friend in a CK suit for years to come
tongue.gif

khaller

Reaction score
After a few hours on this thread, I discovered that Brooks Bros. suits do not have the fit that I was looking for. I saved myself the discomfort of paying X dollars for a suit when my money could be better spent elsewhere by reading/posting here. It's not that something is wrong with BB suits; it's just that I would not be buying a suit with the fit that I'm looking for.

Spencer Young

Reaction score
I'll be sure to pass along the notice about Saks in Chicago. There's a Saks in St Louis, actually... the irony is that I just moved to Chicago this past weekend, and he's from Chicago but currently in St Louis for his masters.

But thanks for the ideas, I think it'll save him from erring!

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
Quite a lot for younger guys, to be frank.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spencer Young
I'll be sure to pass along the notice about Saks in Chicago. There's a Saks in St Louis, actually... the irony is that I just moved to Chicago this past weekend, and he's from Chicago but currently in St Louis for his masters.

But thanks for the ideas, I think it'll save him from erring!

how about the offerings in saks off 5th in st. louis mills? arent they any good?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Quite a lot for younger guys, to be frank.
Well, I'd disagree somewhat. Several of my first suits as a young professional were from BB. I had no idea what I was doing, so it was kind of luck of the draw, but I ended up with a couple of nice suits that served me well.
I will say that for a younger guy who is built lean like you, the BB sillhouette is probably not ideal, although if you know what you're looking for and get it tailored right you could still do well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads