1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Convincing a friend not to buy a CK suit...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Spencer Young, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

A friend wants thoughts on a Calvin Klein suit at Bluefly:
    http://www.bluefly.com/pages/product...&Nu=Product+ID

I know he can do better for $680, but I'm not sure precisely how (and how to convince him of this). Broad brand-based attacks probably won't convince him. How can I convince him that this suit will be a bad choice? I know Bluefly routinely overstates their price/discount, and that the suit is probably fused. He's lived in London and can appreciate good tailoring.

Does anybody have any other thoughts on the suit, experiences with CK suits, or other possibilities in that pricerange (I'm guessing Canali?)

2. discostu004

discostu004 Senior member Affiliate Vendor

tell him if you can't find him a better deal in 1 month, you'll buy him this suit.

3. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Let him buy it, then mock him for the rest of his life.[​IMG]

4. khaller

khaller Well-Known Member

Let him browse this forum for a few hours. That worked for me when I was considering buying a Brooks Bros. suit a few weeks ago. Beware of the side effects, however; e.g. shoe fetishes, obsession with thrift stores, spending his retirement savings on ebay. [​IMG]

5. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

Talk to him that there's a difference between fashion and style. Good style lasts for years. Take him to RL Polo, Saks, Barneys, NM, etc now that sales are own and show him how much quality and style he can get for $650.

6. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

Let him browse this forum for a few hours. That worked for me when I was considering buying a Brooks Bros. suit a few weeks ago. Beware of the side effects, however; e.g. shoe fetishes, obsession with thrift stores, spending his retirement savings on ebay. [​IMG]

yes, but whats wrong with a brooks bros suit?

7. DGP

DGP Senior member

Is your friend in St. Louis too? Drive to Saks in Chicago. For that price, I just bought two Zegna Z line suits, which, while no Brioni, are better, IMO, than something like CK. For $700, your friend could probably get a regular Zegna there, or an Armani, or a lot of other great suits, because tomorrow begins the 50% off of the lowest price on all sale stuff.

8. DGP

DGP Senior member

Nothing, I just think there are better suits for the money if you are talking about paying retail for a BB suit.

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Is your friend in St. Louis too? Drive to Saks in Chicago.

That's a looooonnnggg drive.

10. DGP

DGP Senior member

That's a looooonnnggg drive.

Yea, but it's nothing when the alternative is a friend in a CK suit for years to come [​IMG].

11. khaller

khaller Well-Known Member

After a few hours on this thread, I discovered that Brooks Bros. suits do not have the fit that I was looking for. I saved myself the discomfort of paying X dollars for a suit when my money could be better spent elsewhere by reading/posting here. It's not that something is wrong with BB suits; it's just that I would not be buying a suit with the fit that I'm looking for.

12. Spencer Young

Spencer Young Senior member

I'll be sure to pass along the notice about Saks in Chicago. There's a Saks in St Louis, actually... the irony is that I just moved to Chicago this past weekend, and he's from Chicago but currently in St Louis for his masters.

But thanks for the ideas, I think it'll save him from erring!

13. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Quite a lot for younger guys, to be frank.

14. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

I'll be sure to pass along the notice about Saks in Chicago. There's a Saks in St Louis, actually... the irony is that I just moved to Chicago this past weekend, and he's from Chicago but currently in St Louis for his masters.

But thanks for the ideas, I think it'll save him from erring!

how about the offerings in saks off 5th in st. louis mills? arent they any good?

15. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Quite a lot for younger guys, to be frank.
    Well, I'd disagree somewhat. Several of my first suits as a young professional were from BB. I had no idea what I was doing, so it was kind of luck of the draw, but I ended up with a couple of nice suits that served me well.
    I will say that for a younger guy who is built lean like you, the BB sillhouette is probably not ideal, although if you know what you're looking for and get it tailored right you could still do well.

16. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

Well it's not just that, it's the fact that pretty much everything about BB suits is TOO tradly and American.

17. mrchapel

mrchapel Senior member

Well it's not just that, it's the fact that pretty much everything about BB suits is TOO tradly and American.

Haha you're batting a thousand [​IMG] . First you coined semi-bespoke and now tadly. What will you think of next [​IMG]

18. UMass

UMass Senior member

I have a CK suit made for a department store. It is definitly fused. This particular one is rather blocky and the shoulders are moderatly padded.
    The quality is ok but not worth $650 maybe more like $300. Your friend may just like the color and pattern of the suit. Once he recieves the suit he may change his mind, Bluefly has 90 day return policy.

19. awcollin

awcollin Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else here, but I live in a relatively small market (Indianapolis) and have been able to get what I think are pretty good deals from a local tailor (Manzoni blazer, 150's, for less than $400). There has to be a magazine or something in St. Louis that lets you know where the local talent is.

20. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

One of the posters had a link to their Chicago and St. Louis stores. I plan to go next time I am in Chicago.

http://www.marlonaustin.com/