• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Converting SB Overcoat to DB

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I picked up a great brown tweed overcoat. Shoulders are good and chest is alright but it's really big through the body. I took it to my tailor and while wrapping it around my body to see how much I needed taken in; I noticed it was a perfect fit for a double breasted coat. I asked my tailor and he said it shouldn't be a problem to do it. It seems so simple, I wonder if I'm missing something?

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The biggest problem would be finding a tailor who thinks it's doable and who is willing to do it. You've solved that problem.

However, surgery this drastic could always result in disaster, even if the tailor is confident. So don't do this unless you are prepared to take a total loss on the coat. I also think, given how drastic the operation is, it would be unfair to blame the tailor if you are not happy with the result.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think about this. The front of a DB coat overlaps substantially. The front of an SB does not. By wrapping this large SB around you, you've pulled the back and shoulders forward. Check in a triple mirror that you haven't created a monster from the side and the back, even if it does look good from the front.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried it on in front of a tailor's mirror so I could see all angles. It looks fine.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So let's see pictures when it's done!

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 86 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 158 32.0%
  • 8”

Votes: 143 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 57 11.5%
  • 9”

Votes: 25 5.1%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%