1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Converting Pleats to Plain

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by SMJHS, Jul 3, 2006.

1. SMJHS

SMJHS Member

Great site!
    I've noticed most of the higher-end suits I am interested in purchasing come with pleated pants. I'm assuming this is considered a more stylish option, however, for those of us with hips big enough to give birth, pleats are not always the best look. [​IMG] I've read a few threads on SF regarding this subject, so my apologies for the redundancy, but I'm still not sure what to expect cost-wise. Also, will opening the waist-band and recutting the fabric change the look of the pants (pattern matching, pocket placement, drape, etc.)?
    I'm clearly a novice in the world of bespoke suits, but I look forward to learning from you all.
    Thanks!

2. Tomasso

Tomasso Distinguished Member

for those of us with hips big enough to give birth, pleats are not always the best look. [​IMG]

Au contraire. A high waisted, pleated trouser with a bit fuller cut would actually be the best choice for prominent hips. Anything less would accentuate your hips.

3. JR_Rider

JR_Rider Senior Member

Au contraire. A high waisted, pleated trouser with a bit fuller cut would actually be the best choice for prominent hips. Anything less would accentuate your hips.

That is exactly what I thought also. I have been told by numerous sales people that pleats are designed to hide weight. Flat front pants are for thinner people from what I understand.

4. CoryB

CoryB Senior Member

I agree with the statements that pleats hide girth, but back to the original question is it possible to convert pleats to flat? I'm a very skinny person, but suits always seam to have pleats. I had never thought about the possibility of coverting pleats to flat, but being that pleats are essentially extra material it would seem to be possible. Would it alter the balance of the pant, and also what would be the cost?

5. Charley

Charley Distinguished Member

6. SMJHS

SMJHS Member

Excellent advice! Thanks to you all!