• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Converting Jacket from Fully Lined to Half Lined

GucciKid

Reaction score
I've got a suit that I want to be able to wear in warmer weather and would like to convert it from fully lined to half or even quarter lined.

Is this possible? Recommended?

Thanks

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's probably possible if you have a skillful enough tailor but I would expect the cost to be significant, since you're essentially asking the tailor to tear apart and then rebuild the coat entirely. the fit might also be different after the lining is removed.

Does it really make sense to do that instead of just buying a new summer weight suit?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it's certainly possible to have a tailor put in a new lining for a coat, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to at least go to a 3/4 lining.

NukeMeSlowly

Reaction score
This is relatively simple. I had my seamstress (my tailor does the tougher stuff) do this on a linen sportcoat. Cost about $35 IIRC

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.