1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Converting flapped pockets to jetted

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bigbucky, Dec 31, 2011.

1. bigbucky

bigbucky Senior member

I'm looking at a tuxedo I really like but it has flapped pockets. Can I just take a seam ripper to it and remove the flap? Better left to a tailor?

2. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I would suggest simply tucking the flaps into the pockets.

3. lostron

lostron Senior member

An experienced tailor will be able to do this but I suggest you just find another jacket because here is a high chance that it will not look right

4. bigbucky

bigbucky Senior member

That is the easier solution but I would know they were still there. It's like painting behind the radiator. I guess I'll keep looking.

5. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior member

In addition to simply just tucking them in, assuming the pockets are jetted with flaps in the first place, you would need to have them closed with some sort of hand zig zag stitch to close the gap. The stitch should be easy to remove afterwards should you wish to go back to flap pockets.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

Why on earth does such knowledge matter to you? This has been done for years by those who prefer the non-flap look.

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

You may need therapy.

8. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

don't we all need that more or less...anyway, just tuck them in or see a good alterations tailor and ask for a quote

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  9. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

If wants to convert them to jetted I don't see why stitching the pocket closed would be necessary, just tucking the flaps in should be enough. I don't see what stitching them shut would achieve other than preventing you from using the pockets.

10. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Are you having the pockets stitched shut? If so, remove the flaps, rather than tucking them and closing the pocket. I had this done on a couple suits, and the outline of the tucked flap will show after a pressing.

11. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

tuck them in and have the flaps stitched in. That is what I had done on my tux.

That way I can still use the pockets for the valet ticket and not have to worry about one of the flaps coming out unknowingly.

12. CutandSew

CutandSew Senior member

Stitching the pocket closed is not necessary. It will just prevent the flap from slipping out. Personally I'm not a fan of opening up jetted pocket to be used in the first place because I don't like the look of the pocket opening after it has been stretched due to use. Flaps usually cover any gaping pockets, but since the flap is gone (or tucked in as would be the case here) I think it would look nicer closed by hidden stitching. If I have anything that needs to go in a pocket (wallet, phone, tickets, etc.) I tend to use the pockets in the lining anyways. This is only one suggestion, and it would depend on whether or not the OP wants to hang onto the flaps just in case he changes his mind in the future.

13. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

There is a difference how flapped and besom pockets are finished. On besom pockets a piece of cloth is sewn inside as a sort of facing so when the pocket opens you see the same cloth as the jacket. On a flapped pocket there is no cloth under the flap, only lining. This is to reduce layers at the pocket. Converting from flaps to besom can be done just the same as it would have been done originally by removing the back lining of the flap and stitching the cloth to the inside of the pocket. It will be just the same as it would have been done the first time the pocket was made.

Don't try to remove the flap yourself, you will separate the pipe from the jacket.

If you like everything else about this tux, the flaps are no reason to pass on this one. Easy enough to change without compromising anything about the construction of the jacket.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
    2 people like this.
  14. suited

suited Senior member

I wanted to bump this to get some advice. I have this jacket but it's a bit too long. It's 32" from the BOC. 31" would look much better on me (5'11). The button stance, as you can see, is plenty high enough to absorb the shortening. The pocket flaps could be another story. 1 inch might work, but if it looks out of balance after the job is done, hiding the flaps would give the illusion that they pockets are higher.

Would you opt to open the pockets and tuck the flaps in, or have it fully converted to jetted pockets? FYI, I only have $40 invested into this jacket (Isaia), and it's not like I can go out and grab this color of velvet at that price in my size ever again, so I am fully committed to making this work.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  15. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

You could easily shorten that jacket one inch and not have to do anything about the pockets.

16. suited

suited Senior member

That's what I'm hoping. Glad someone else's eyes agree with mine.