• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Converting eBook file formats

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to convert a .lit file to a .txt or a .azw or a .mobi or a .prc file, anyone with experience doing this able to help a brother out?

thinc

Reaction score
http://calibre-ebook.com/

it's free
from the faq:

What formats does calibre support conversion to/from?

calibre supports the conversion of many input formats to many output formats. It can convert every input format in the following list, to every output format.

Input Formats: CBZ, CBR, CBC, CHM, EPUB, FB2, HTML, LIT, LRF, MOBI, ODT, PDF, PRC**, PDB, PML, RB, RTF, SNB, TCR, TXT

Output Formats: EPUB, FB2, OEB, LIT, LRF, MOBI, PDB, PML, RB, PDF, SNB, TCR, TXT

** PRC is a generic format, calibre supports PRC files with TextRead and MOBIBook headers

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Calibre is very good. I learned today however that it does not seem to like the prc files. I tend to put everything in mobi, and it seems happy with that.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt
Calibre is very good. I learned today however that it does not seem to like the prc files. I tend to put everything in mobi, and it seems happy with that.

Yeah this program is great and I've been using .MOBI as well.

hboogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any recommendations on programs that convert pdf to mobi ? I deal with a lot of PDF manuals and sometimes the formatting is just off in some readers. However, I haven't tried calibre
blush.gif

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
any recommendations on programs that convert pdf to mobi ? I deal with a lot of PDF manuals and sometimes the formatting is just off in some readers. However, I haven't tried calibre
blush.gif

It depends on the PDF. I downloaded 1 book that was in PDF and converted to be MOBI and the formatting was absolute ****. I downloaded another one, same deal, PDF to MOBI and it was almost perfect.

What sites do you guys use to DL e-books?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hboogz
blush.gif

Calibre again, but PDFs are more hit and miss. It depends what it is. Just a book, it should be fine, but if it is a converted PowerPoint deck or something with a lot of images/diagrams and so forth, it may struggle. I'm assuming you are trying to stick them on to your Kindle, and the Kindle renders the PDF poorly(?).

Originally Posted by Reynard369
What sites do you guys use to DL e-books?

I just find the torrents on isohunt or demonoid. I'm guessing again if you are using mobi format then we are talking Kindle, in which case there are quite a few mega-kindle-pack style torrents that are worth a quick scan to pick and choose some essentials. More specific stuff, then you are at the hands of the torrent overlords though.

Be very interested to hear if anyone has some other suggestions however.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just find the torrents on isohunt or demonoid. I'm guessing again if you are using mobi format then we are talking Kindle, in which case there are quite a few mega-kindle-pack style torrents that are worth a quick scan to pick and choose some essentials. More specific stuff, then you are at the hands of the torrent overlords though.

Be very interested to hear if anyone has some other suggestions however.

Happen to have links for these? Thanks.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just bought a Kindle and I'm not sure how to get the books I downloaded and have on my "Kindle for PC" app onto my actual Kindle. Anyone know how this is done?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
plug it in, it will mount as a usb drive, copy/paste them into the Documents folder. Done.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
plug it in, it will mount as a usb drive, copy/paste them into the Documents folder. Done.

Thanks. I figured this out eventually, but was hoping it would just sync. Oh well!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads