• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

converting a suit jacket into a blazer help

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hi

I have a suiut jacket and i want to turn it into a blazer, what do i need to do? what is the difference between a suit jacket and a blazer? is the converstion gonna be hard, i have a sewing machine and a searing machine if it helps, do i need aditional machines? and i want to dye the suit jacket to another color is that going to be hard

thanks for the help

uncle iroh

Conrad

Reaction score
In the end there's really no difference between a blazer, odd jacket, or suit jacket. What makes it a suit jacket is that it comes with matching pants.

Now, I have a couple of suits that I will wear the jackets as a blazer from time to time and there's one thing I've noticed about it. The pattern on the jacket has to be loud enough to carry itself independently of the pants.

If I put on my light grey suit jacket with odd pants, it looks like I'm wearing a suit jacket with odd pants. However, I have a herringbone suit that the jacket carries great with a pair of odd pants.

To me, the louder the jacket and the plainer the pants the better it works (to a point, of course- no need to be looking like a clown).

Biscione

Reaction score
That depends. A blazer is traditionally a double breasted navy jacket with gold buttons (although single breasted is increasingly common). If you're working with a db navy suit, this shouldn't prove to be an impossibility. However, if you mean 'blazer' as in a sport jacket (as many Americans seem to) then things are different, as the two styles seldom mix: most suit jackets don't work as sport jackets, especially striped ones. If it is appropriate as a sport jacket, then alterations aren't needed in the slightest. The differences are almost nonexistant other than materials used, although sport jackets are generally shorter cut, but that's not of much importance. Dyeing is a silly idea, and not worth any thought: if you're that desperate, consider getting another jacket.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
I have a suiut jacket and i want to turn it into a blazer, what do i need to do?

If the jacket is a solid colour, then you could turn it into a blazer fairly easily by swapping the buttons for either metal (traditional for a blazer), enamel or a casual brown horn of some nature. No other alterations needed really. According to strict tradition/definition, it'll still be an odd jacket rather than a blazer, but for all intents and purposes, it'll function as a blazer.

If it's not solid, again, you can turn it into an odd jacket by doing relatively little, like swapping buttons, but how successful the operation will be depends on the fabric, various other style details and how you incorporate the "new" jacket into your wardrobe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics