• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Converting a 3 button into a 2 button suit

Cedric

Reaction score
Hi guys

What do you think of trying to convert a 3 button suit, into a 2 button? (see image for reference)
I imagine it would involve taking out the 1st button, closing its buttoning hole on the other side one way or the other and press the lapels so that they "hide" where the 1st button and its hole were.

Has anyone ever attempted such?

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What would you do about the top button hole?

WhyAlwaysMe

Reaction score
You can try making a 3 roll 2 out of it with a lot of hot steam from your iron...

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It cannot be done. The point that the lapel rolls to is not simply a matter of how it is pressed, it is also determined by the internal structure of the coat, the tape along the bridle and more importantly the cut of the collar. Getting it to roll to a different point would require recutting the whole collar, which would require you to have spare matching fabric. If you just attempt to press the lapel to a new position it will constantly fight the new roll and will never look right.

Not to mention that you cannot just close up the top button-hole "one way or the other". You could attempt to have it reweaved, but this will be very expensive, and will again require spare fabric for the reweavers to take threads from.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Hi guys
What do you think of trying to convert a 3 button suit, into a 2 button? (see image for reference)

Not to belabor the thread but .... why? I mean, just don't button the top button and call it a day. Is the spare hole at the top and or dangling button really causing you grief?

plei89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^This. No need to waste money or time trying to convert...
6241.gif

+100000; 3 piece suits are very conservative and great for interviews. Just button the middle button, that's what I do.

Cedric

Reaction score

Not to belabor the thread but .... why? I mean, just don't button the top button and call it a day. Is the spare hole at the top and or dangling button really causing you grief?

:laugh: ya, i almost never do, but it just bothers me thats all.
I always think of 3 buttons as old fashioned or for tall people.
Im 6ft, so i always felt it looked weird on me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads