• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

convertable that has 3 seat belts in the back seat

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
may be looking for a new car. I was thinking of the volvo C70, or maybe the new BMW convertable, but I need to be able to put 3 kids seats in the back seat (I won't be driving with kids very often, but it is crazy not to buy a car the kids can ride in). what I would really like would be the Chrysler 300 in a convertable, but it isn't clear that is ever going to happen.

any suggestions?

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I think the Sebring and Saab 9-3 both have three rear seat belts.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
may be looking for a new car. I was thinking of the volvo C70, or maybe the new BMW convertable, but I need to be able to put 3 kids seats in the back seat (I won't be driving with kids very often, but it is crazy not to buy a car the kids can ride in). what I would really like would be the Chrysler 300 in a convertable, but it isn't clear that is ever going to happen.

any suggestions?

An Israeli jew in a BMW?

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Have you been to Israel? There are German cars all over the place, not including the E-Class taxis.

Jon.

I'm well aware, and yes, I was there this summer for 3 weeks.

The taxis I believe were part of a settlement between the Israeli and German government. Far more cars there are of the Toyota/Kia variety when you look at what citizens are driving. I was on a kibbutz as well as Jerusalem, Haifa, and Tel Aviv. The only non cabs I saw that were german were beat up old E classes driven by arabs in Acco.

I'm sorry but for a guy who has basically intimated that he was an assissin for the Mossad and like... a brigadier general in the IDF who now trades stories with his fellow black ops "akis" and who is so staunch about being pro-Israeli, I must say that having met several such types, none of them would ever step foot in a BMW.

Then again maybe there was a memo I missed and it's acceptable now. However when I asked the question, there was a fairly ardent response that no one does it. In fact in one of the concerts in tel aviv which brought in a great deal of Israel's social elite, it was a lot of high end japanese cars.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
I'm well aware, and yes, I was there this summer for 3 weeks.

The taxis I believe were part of a settlement between the Israeli and German government. Far more cars there are of the Toyota/Kia variety when you look at what citizens are driving. I was on a kibbutz as well as Jerusalem, Haifa, and Tel Aviv. The only non cabs I saw that were german were beat up old E classes driven by arabs in Acco.

I'm sorry but for a guy who has basically intimated that he was an assissin for the Mossad and like... a brigadier general in the IDF who now trades stories with his fellow black ops "akis" and who is so staunch about being pro-Israeli, I must say that having met several such types, none of them would ever step foot in a BMW.

Then again maybe there was a memo I missed and it's acceptable now. However when I asked the question, there was a fairly ardent response that no one does it. In fact in one of the concerts in tel aviv which brought in a great deal of Israel's social elite, it was a lot of high end japanese cars.

I was also in Israel this summer and I spent several days in the north of Tel-Aviv and there were a lot of newer-model BMW's, Mercedes and Audi's. I even saw the new MB CL first in Tel-Aviv before I saw it at home in Boca.

Jon.

Violinist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was also in Israel this summer and I spent several days in the north of Tel-Aviv and there were a lot of newer-model BMW's, Mercedes and Audi's. I even saw the new MB CL first in Tel-Aviv before I saw it at home in Boca.

Jon.

Yes but also remember that there's a lot of Russians in Israel with far less jewish heritage who emigrated for the better opportunity and quality of life. I don't know any jew over here who would drive one, and over there I discussed the topic several times, and the response was always the same.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
violinist, bugger off my thread.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Violinist
Yes but also remember that there's a lot of Russians in Israel with far less jewish heritage who emigrated for the better opportunity and quality of life. I don't know any jew over here who would drive one, and over there I discussed the topic several times, and the response was always the same.

And that's wholly understandable. But I do know 3rd and 4th generation Israeli's that own German cars that live in Israel. Although, personally if I lived in Israel I would rather own an Alfa or a Peugeot.

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back on topic: between the Volvo and the BMW, I would get the BMW. It has a much better warranty and frankly I would expect it (based on past performance) to hold up better than the Volvo. Also, it's going to be a lot more fun to drive than the Volvo (RWD vs. FWD), and as a bonus you aren't buying a dressed-up Ford.

Jon.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Back on topic: between the Volvo and the BMW, I would get the BMW. It has a much better warranty and frankly I would expect it (based on past performance) to hold up better than the Volvo. Also, it's going to be a lot more fun to drive than the Volvo (RWD vs. FWD), and as a bonus you aren't buying a dressed-up Ford.

Jon.

I actually like the volvo, as a bit less flash, but I don't think that they have 3 seat belts.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
I actually like the volvo, as a bit less flash, but I don't think that they have 3 seat belts.

I actually think that the C70 convertible is pretty damn flashy, but I can see where the BMW badge plays into the equation. Have you driven them yet?

Jon.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't even think about putting three carseats in the back of a BMW convertible. Ain't gonna happen.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually think that the C70 convertible is pretty damn flashy, but I can see where the BMW badge plays into the equation. Have you driven them yet?

Jon.

no, I just found out today that my company is moving out of walking range, so I need a car that I will enjoy commuting in. haven't even started to look at anything yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads