• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Convert shirt to button down?

Popol

Reaction score
I've got a few dress shirts that I mostly wear with the top button undone and I was wondering: is it possible to convert the regular medium spread collar into a button-down collar? Also, if it is possible just how easy do you guys think it would be? I'm pretty sure the collar is supple enough to make into a button-down provided that I remove the tabs but besides that, should I have any concern that I might ruin a good dress shirt? It's a project I want to try and I would appreciate input, whether it comes from experience or pure speculation I'm open to it.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who will be doing the conversion?

Popol

Reaction score
Me and a friend who studies in fashion design. We have all the tools to create button holes and such but I just don't want to forget something trivial and ruin my shirt.

Mr.K

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is very easy to do. I had my tailor put the holes on a coupe of my shirt collars and then add the buttons.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the collar will have enough roll if you do this.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Quite simple and will turn out well if the collar is not too stiff and if your friend has practice with the buttonhole machine. They can be finicky.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KObalto
I wonder if the collar will have enough roll if you do this.

Most likely it will not. Proper button-down shirts are designed with a softer collar from the outset. So it's not just the buttons on the button-down collar that matter. Converting a non-button collar into a button-down collar simply by adding buttons is a bit like painting an apple orange and then calling it an orange.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some button down collars that were intentionally cut without a roll and with stays. They function similarly to a tab collar.

VANDERHAHN

Reaction score
How did this turn out? I'm considering doing the same with several of my shirts. Thanks!

VANDERHAHN

Reaction score
How did this turn out? I'm considering doing the same with several of my shirts. Thanks!

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done this. It works fine, especially for casual wear. Though you may not get the perfect roll that, this being SF, people are always going on about.

I have even taken this a bit farther. Most dress shirts are quite large. Even many slim-fit shirts are larger than you might want to wear casually, especially without a jacket. But if you have no intention of ever buttoning the top button -- not unreasonable with a button-down collar -- you can size down so that the shirt actually fits properly. I have several shirts I've added buttons to that have the collars an inch too small and they're great.

You can also play around with different collars. I have some of the only semi-spread OCBDs on the planet. ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads