1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Converse Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by CorporateFresh, Jan 21, 2010.

1. DanIsThe

DanIsThe Member

So it looks like create-your-own Converses are on sale right now. A good chance to make some nice clean colourways.

Anyone know how the leather is?

2. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

Pretty standard as far as sneaker leather goes. Good, not great. Will last much longer than canvas in my experience.

3. smartboy3456

smartboy3456 Member

Low vs mid vs high top Chucks when matched with rolled up chinos?

4. WorkingClassDude

WorkingClassDude Senior member

Probably lows. Chuck Taylor mids, to me, are ugly. The cut is so awkward and straight. Probably not high-tops but maybe in the right way.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  5. smartboy3456

smartboy3456 Member

Thanks haha

6. smartboy3456

smartboy3456 Member

I wear a size 10D, and I'm worried about the width and toe room of chucks, because as a kid my pinky toe hurt from wearing Vans. Should I go true to size for Chucks if my foot width is a D right now?

7. WorkingClassDude

Eww, Converse changed the Jack Purcell with some lame changes, and now it looks like they've screwed around with the Chuck Taylor for no reason as well. They've changed the tags at the top of the tongue and on the heel, as well as added a little loop on the tongue to run the laces through. All completely unnecessary changes that add nothing to the shoe and take away from it's classic look. What random timing.....

8. WorkingClassDude

Recently copped some Converse Wells Ox. Super comfy; don't seem to be popular/plentiful. It's been a good 7 or 8 years since I've had this type of skate shoe.

9. deadAngle

deadAngle Senior member

Reviving this thread because I don't feel like making a new thread for a small issue.

I've been considering getting a pair of hi-top Converse for a while, but the visible logos really, really bother me. I'd happily spring for a knockoff with no logos if I could find one with the exact colour scheme I wanted. However, Converse allows you to order one to your own colour specifications. Before I spring for a pair, I need to know if they (specifically the big ugly side logos) can be removed. As in, removed, not covered up with something else. Furthermore, what exactly are the logos made of? I've heard that applying heat (throwing them in the dryer) will make the logos crack, but would adding more heat with like a steam iron do more? Is anyone willing to possibly sacrifice a pair to test this out?

Converse really doesn't seem like the type of company that would just accept a "hey don't print your logo on the side of the pair you make for me" request if I asked.

10. bakasam

bakasam Member

[​IMG]

Copped these today. :)

2 people like this.
  11. Sesame Seed

Sesame Seed Senior member

It seems like old stock black leather JPs are impossible to find. Is there anything else that is comparable? I’m not paying Buttero prices for a nicer shoe with a similar aesthetic. I would beat the hell out of ‘em.

12. WorkingClassDude

I think certain kinds of the Converse All Star patch are stitched on. I imagine you could pluck out the stitching and remove the patch, but the hole pattern might still be visible in the material... But the 'traditional' patch has always looked to me to be be very well screened on as to be pretty much integrated into the canvas. Maybe it could be dissolved off somehow, but I have no clue how this could be done. Maybe melted off too... but yea, I'm not down to sacrifice any haha. Go to ROSS and find a pair for $20 lol.

I also regret not ever buying any of the last-gen leathers. I had plenty of time....... I bought the new gen, they are OK but I don't like the new smiley being 'filled in', I don't like the new laces, etc.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  13. OliverGauffe

OliverGauffe Senior member

[​IMG]

WANT: The leather worker-desert-whatever "hybrid" boot from Converse, new this season I believe--love the fact that it doesn't look like a typical converse except the logo, could work in a lot of situations--not as casual as a classic Converse, yet not pretentious at all either. And those laces. http://www.spartoo.co.uk/Converse-CLASSIC-BOOTS-HI-x131632.php

14. SuEd

SuEd Senior member

Is there a list of First String stockists?

15. Robert

Robert Senior member

So those places really do sell the older design, not the new? I've been wanting some new white ones but the redesign has been holding me back. How is Get Outside for customer service, promptness with shipping, etc.?

16. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

I wouldn't know. I've only been inside. Although it's probably the place to go if you want to buy some Converse. Also, I don't know if they still sell original Jacks. I was in a department store that sells them, but they were the redesign.

17. Robert

Robert Senior member

I think I'll call them and see if I can find out.

18. Robert

Robert Senior member

By the way, any recommendations on sizing? I wear a 10 in my regular Chucks, which are pretty much spot on. I used to have a pair of 11 JPs a few years back but I can't remember how they fit. They might have been a touch big. Thanks.

19. Robert

Robert Senior member

They do carry the older version, but man, $25 to ship to the U.S.!

20. Distorbiant

Distorbiant Senior member

ebay seller VFTW has several of the older jack purcell models up for $30 apiece.