1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Conversation topics at a house party

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by MilanoStyle, May 12, 2004.

1. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

Alternatively, you could approach her, introduce yourself, and ask, "So... you like cock?" I've never tried that alternative though...
    That would probably result in a **SLAP** - unless she is that kind of girl. Â In the case of the latter, it could end in a good night.
    Or, it could end with a case of the clap. Wrap it up fellas.

2. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

Music and movies are your best bet.

Stay away from politics and religion, for now.

3. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

fellas .. I have been invited to a house party and seems like there will be chicaritas .. My problem is .. sometimes I have no words to say after some casual open line and conversation..
    Just talk about stuff that you are interested in and that are relatively gender neutral - your favorite movies/tv shows (Amber and Boston Rob - true love, or a crass marketing move?), the music that is playing, the crazy guy doing the funky chicken on the kitchen counter. If she is at all interested, she will help you out as long as you have an opinion about *something* - "Oh, c'mon, Coldplay/Dashboard Confessional/Lil Jon sucks. You really like him/them? Why? XYZ is way better." If she gives you monosyllabic answers and keeps watching the dancing guy, move on - she's not interested and you're just making yourself look pathetic.
    (While listening to "The Scientist", by Coldplay) What is wrong with Coldplay? Granted, they might not be the best band ever, but still some songs are pretty decent, good even one might say. Jon.

4. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Actually, that was my impression of what the girl might respond just to get some interesting conversation going. I sort of like Coldplay, although they seem inordinately into themselves.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

What musician isn't? [​IMG] Jon.

6. Kai

Kai Senior member

Tell smart women they are beautiful, tell beautiful women they are smart.
    I'd forgotten about this. Â It's originally from Samuel Johnson, right? Â Wise man, your father.
    Not Samuel Johnson. Lord Chesterfield. His letters are a treasure trove of advice for social situations. Brings you to a realization of how little human society has changed in 250 years.

7. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Thanks for the correction. Mea culpa.

8. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Seems a starting conversation about fashion might be appropriate.

9. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Of course, there is the risk of having her think that you might be homosexual / have homosexual inclination (as wrong as she may be, but since the stereotype is that straight men don't care a about clothes, and that gay men like clothes {especially fashion-oriented}), you might give the wrong impression if the conversation take a wrong turn whilst talking about fashion.

(just saying is all)

Jon.

10. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Don't even try it guys, unless you want to sit there for hours hearing how her Jimmy Choos broke, and how somebody compilmented her on that oh so cheap Ralph Lauren sweater, and how they need to get a life. Unless of course you like to be board. Â [​IMG] Oh and
    where does one find that kind of girl, because if there is such a thing divorce may be imminent, unless of course you mean the Charring Cross Station kind of girl (prostitutes)

11. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas Member

Were it not ungentlemanly to do so, I could suggest Saturday evenings on Broad Street in Birmingham as a potential hunting ground for 'that kind of girl'...Conversation may not be quite up to Charring Cross standards though.

Gaz
    -x-

12. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Ah, I take it you are a Brummie? I have a lot of dealings with Brummies, very interesing, and strange people  [​IMG] Especialy odd when you take them to London Bars, is it common practice to wear casual clothing to the Bars in Birmingham?

13. gaz.thomas

gaz.thomas Member

I'd prefer to think of myself as an exiled Welshman in Worcestershire but for all intents and purposes I could well be considered a resident of Brumigham. As to the typical dress code in Birmingham bars there are few venues that would require smart dress (we aren't plagued with the glut of investment-bankers-going-straight-to-the-pub-from-the-office that seem more prevalent in the smoke [​IMG] ) and as a result the general tone is more casual. Either that or we simply do not know how to dress properly up here - also a possibility [​IMG] Gaz -x-

14. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

The North, I guess we cannot say much more  [​IMG] NOTE: Bar and not Pub, as in Attica, Cafe De Paris, Chinawhite etc. I think the Birmingham equivilant would be 52 Degrees, or Sobar