• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Conversation topics at a house party

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fellas .. I have been invited to a house party and seems like there will be chicaritas .. My problem is .. sometimes I have no words to say after some casual open line and conversation..

Could you guys suggest safe but entertaining conversation topic to talk about with a lady whom you just meeet at a party?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
how poorly everyone else is dressed

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
common now ... do not suggest high school stuff
confused.gif

regularjoe

Reaction score
Some might suggest that any "canned strategy" is high school stuff...

If you want to try something, try this:

Gradually steer the conversation towards Sex and the City and ask the girl which lead character she identified herself with.

If she says Miranda, you know she's career driven and probably an overachiever.

If she says Charlotte, you know she's generally looking for something long term and is somewhat conservative (the girl next door).

If she says Samantha, she is probably the "loose" one.

If she says Carrie, she considers herself a "leader" of sorts.

Depending on the type of girl you're interested in, you either continue or move on. I've never tried it, but I heard it from my brother and it sounds fun to give a whirl.

gregory

Reaction score
Well hopefully one thing you'll both have in common is the host and your relationships with the host, so that may be a good starting point.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some might suggest that any "canned strategy" is high school stuff...

If you want to try something, try this:

Gradually steer the conversation towards Sex and the City and ask the girl which lead character she identified herself with.

If she says Miranda, you know she's career driven and probably an overachiever.

If she says Charlotte, you know she's generally looking for something long term and is somewhat conservative (the girl next door).

If she says Samantha, she is probably the "loose" one.

If she says Carrie, she considers herself a "leader" of sorts.

Depending on the type of girl you're interested in, you either continue or move on. I've never tried it, but I heard it from my brother and it sounds fun to give a whirl.
As long as you're style of dress (i.e. better than everybody else) and that particular question doesn't peg you as a metrosexual (no normal heterosexual watches that show, right? Right? ), yeah sure go ahead and try it, sounds like an interesting approach.

Jon.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some might suggest that any "canned strategy" is high school stuff... If you want to try something, try this: Gradually steer the conversation towards Sex and the City and ask the girl which lead character she identified herself with. If she says Miranda, you know she's career driven and probably an overachiever. If she says Charlotte, you know she's generally looking for something long term and is somewhat conservative (the girl next door). If she says Samantha, she is probably the "loose" one. If she says Carrie, she considers herself a "leader" of sorts. Depending on the type of girl you're interested in, you either continue or move on. Â I've never tried it, but I heard it from my brother and it sounds fun to give a whirl.
Thats funny guy .. I am more of Sophrano type of person .. but I'll keep that in mind ... Charlotte/Samantha would be perfact girl for me .. someone who is busy enough not to bother me but loose enough give me some action when I need ...
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fellas .. I have been invited to a house party and seems like there will be chicaritas .. My problem is .. sometimes I have no words to say after some casual open line and conversation..

Just talk about stuff that you are interested in and that are relatively gender neutral - your favorite movies/tv shows (Amber and Boston Rob - true love, or a crass marketing move?), the music that is playing, the crazy guy doing the funky chicken on the kitchen counter. If she is at all interested, she will help you out as long as you have an opinion about *something* - "Oh, c'mon, Coldplay/Dashboard Confessional/Lil Jon sucks. You really like him/them? Why? XYZ is way better." If she gives you monosyllabic answers and keeps watching the dancing guy, move on - she's not interested and you're just making yourself look pathetic.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple suggestions:
1. No bragging, those without a penis tend to find bragging by those with one terribly boring.

2. Be nice. Fool her into thinking you are actually a good guy.

3. Ask her opinions and listen to the response, look at ehr face when she answers and wait til she is looking away to check out the boobs. Her boobs are not speaking, look at her mouth when words are coming out, words are important.

4. My Daddy was a rather brilliant man (not genetic) and with all of his published research and theorems one truism he taught me stood out as the best: Tell smart women they are beautiful, tell beautiful women they are smart.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couple suggestions: 1. Â No bragging, those without a penis tend to find bragging by those with one terribly boring. 2. Â Be nice. Â Fool her into thinking you are actually a good guy. 3. Â Ask her opinions and listen to the response, look at ehr face when she answers and wait til she is looking away to check out the boobs. Â Her boobs are not speaking, look at her mouth when words are coming out, words are important. 4. Â My Daddy was a rather brilliant man (not genetic) and with all of his published research and theorems one truism he taught me stood out as the best: Â Tell smart women they are beautiful, tell beautiful women they are smart.
1. Yup .. I never brag.. never liked one that do either .. 2. I am nice .. maybe too nice ? 3. hmm .. thats tough one .. since i'll be under the influence of achole. .. But I know how tough it is to carry conversation with girl with ********* .. arrgggg... 4. "Tell smart women they are beautiful, tell beautiful women they are smart" this should be quote of the day ...
smile.gif

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen to Carlo.  Above all, no bragging, especially not about your job, car, or sports achievements (even the real ones.) And I'd like to add: no knocking other people (men or women) either. It comes off mean and angry.

Tell smart women they are beautiful, tell beautiful women they are smart.

I'd forgotten about this.  It's originally from Samuel Johnson, right?  Wise man, your father.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couple suggestions: 1. No bragging, those without a penis tend to find bragging by those with one terribly boring. 2. Be nice. Fool her into thinking you are actually a good guy. 3. Ask her opinions and listen to the response, look at ehr face when she answers and wait til she is looking away to check out the boobs. Her boobs are not speaking, look at her mouth when words are coming out, words are important. 4. My Daddy was a rather brilliant man (not genetic) and with all of his published research and theorems one truism he taught me stood out as the best: Tell smart women they are beautiful, tell beautiful women they are smart.
That should probably have an ending like: "But, if you find a woman that is both, she's a keeper".
biggrin.gif
Jon. P.S. Your father was a wise man.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually found both :)

Oh yeah, the last one only works if you don't reveal the rule - ever - because I promise she will remember which one you said and you'll pay either way.

...when Jill heard the rule she said "Hey, you only told me how smart I was early on... so that means you think..." well the rest of the conversation is sorta blurry but I recall seeing a lamp coming toward my head.

Like the suggestion about not having an unkind word for anyone - especially your collection of psychotic ex's :)

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the suggestion about not having an unkind word for anyone - especially your collection of psychotic ex's :)

If the subject comes up, say, "Yes, I was with Jane for 2 years. We're still really good friends. We just weren't right for each other."

Simple, to the point, and:

1) Implies that you are open to commitment, and *could* be committed to the right woman yet
2) Are mature enough to handle a breakup, and was sad but not bitter about it, and
3) Are now available.

Women like non-pyschos. Except for those who are prison groupies. And do you *really* need to be with a 300 lb woman with a mullet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads