• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrasting Upper Lapels? Anyone seen it yet?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
FYI, it isn't the upper lapel, it's the collar. Surprised no one mentioned this but Doc alluded to it.

This is considered in bad taste here as it's a novelty/gimmick to draw attention and not in a good way. If you must proceed down this path how about considering a contrasting texture for the collar material but in a harmonizing color? If this will be worn for business purposes, avoid wearing this.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ It can look good. I thought my Boglioli (grey plaid with velvet collar) was cool, just too cool to find an occasion to wear it to.

NefariousSabatour

Reaction score
i opened this thread a few times today to laugh at that creepy model on the last page.

klam1991

Reaction score
How is everyone finding them so easily? Is it actually a name to it besides contrasting lapel?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes there is a name. Contrasting collar. The cloth you see that curves around your neck is the collar. The lapel is the cloth sewn to the collar extending downwards to the button.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Prince Of Wales has a jacket with contrasting collar and cuffs. It's called a Windsor Uniform.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads