1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Contrasting collars: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jmatt, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

I think I would try it with light blue first, just so if it's a mistake for my complexion it won't be THAT bad.

2. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i like them and i plan to pick some for next summer but only with contrasting collars not cuffs!

3. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Only if they are high and wide spread. If one doesn't have the face/neck to look good in it, then no. It serves that kind of head up like a platter.

4. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

no, I think the movie office space really ruined the idea of this look for me.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I only get them when I replace collar and cuffs too, but I like the look. It can make a material, that would normally look casual, look terrific with a dark suit.

6. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Lumberg wore it the worst possible way: low point collar, baggy shirt, clip on braces plus belt, terrible ties.

7. topbroker

topbroker Senior member

It is a great movie, I agree, but Gary Cole's smarminess is insufficient to put me off a style that I really like. If I rejected things because I reject some of the other people that like them, I'd be living naked in a cave. [​IMG]

Ron Livingston looked absolutely smashing wearing suits in this film, IMHO, even though his character hated the corporate slavery that the suits represented.

8. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

but Gary Cole's smarminess is insufficient to put me off a style that I really like.

Whatchyou talkin' 'bout Willis?

9. pkincy

pkincy Senior member

I have just bought 2, a Brioni and a RLPL. I will wear the Brioni, not because of who made it but because it is a white collar on a predominately white background with dark grey and green pinstriping relatively widely spaced. So the shirt/collar does not contrast much.

That is how I will ease into the wearing for business purposes.

The RLPL I love. It is orange and blue stripes with a white Keaton collar. It was only carried in a few stores this year and is way too forward for business, but I can hardly wait to wear it to dinner with a new RLPL pinstriped Veddy English suit I bought.

Perry

10. royal618

royal618 Senior member

I was out shopping at lunch and was in a pen shop - the proprietor had a pale blue shirt with a gingham check. The collar and cuffs had a smaller, mini-gingham check in the same colours.

Interesting look - quirky, and with bow tie, even more so.

11. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Whatchyou talkin' 'bout Willis?

He's talking about Gary Cole, man, not Gary Coleman. [​IMG]

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

13. Matt

Matt Senior member

yeah i just plain dont like them

14. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I will break one out occassionally. I prefer subtle contrast as opposed to bold. For example, a bold royal blue stripe with contrast collar is a little too "Gekko" for this day and age. On the other hand, a subtle pale blue stripe with contrasting collar can look real good.

James Bond: Weren't you a blonde when I came in?
    Tiffany Case: Could be.
    James Bond: I tend to notice little things like that - whether a girl is a blonde or a brunette.
    Tiffany Case: Which do you prefer?
    James Bond: Well, as long as the collar and cuffs match...

15. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

An enthusiastic "yes"

16. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored