1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Contrasting collars: Yes or No?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jmatt, Aug 2, 2006.

1. jmatt

jmatt Senior member

With the revival of the Gordon Gekko thread, I'm wondering about contrasting collars and cuffs (this is not about the whole Gekko look - just about contrasting collars and cuffs).

I recently had Jantzen make me a blue with vertical white pinstripes shirt with contrasting collar and cuffs, and a pink with vertical white pinstripes shirt with contrasting collar and cuffs. I personally love the look, but wonder if I am truly in a vast minority today.

What say the forum?

The two I just had made were from the following:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chobochobo

chobochobo Senior member Moderator

I don't/haven't worn them - though I do have four shirts with contrast collars that I haven't worn yet - one of these is a Borrelli, one a RLPL. I'm waiting for the weather to cool down enough for suits.

My decision to try contrast collar shirts started largely from seeing a very good example whilst waiting in Janzten. I was just browsing the samples when a young lady came in to try her shirt - white collar and cuffs and sky/medium blue thick stripes with thin white stripes. It fit her very well [​IMG]

3. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I've gotten rid of most of my contrasting colloor shirts. I might get so more but I'm not looking for any now.

4. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I hate those ambiguous replies: "it depends on the person", but in this case, that's mine.

I can't get it to work for me. but I personally think it is a classic look. I also think your profession has some consideration. In academia, it is too formal, too sharp, but it's situational.

But when someone wears them well, they really work.

5. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I tend think people with a higher stature should wear them. I read on another message board (Vault.com) years ago that in Investment Banking they shouldnt be worn unless one had reached VP or MD status and true or not it stuck with me.

6. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Contrasting collar shirt always remind of a shirt that had an original collar replaced.

7. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Unambiguous response: Hell to the No!, as Whitney Houston would say.

8. wvuguy

wvuguy Active Member

I admit to being completely unaware of the origin and/or history of the contrasting collar.

But, my personal recollection is that it really got "popularized" here in the US.....as a more-or-less "acceptable" component of business dress.....back when Lee Iacocca took over as honcho at Chrysler. Speaking only for myself, I'm not 100% sure I'd ever seen such a shirt on a businessman until Iacocca's first TV commercial. I believe he wore them pretty frequently, and it became something of a "signature look" for him.

Does anyone else share this specific recollection ???

9. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Yeah, they're good.l I only have one, which I hardly wear, but that's because I hardly ever get very dressed up anymore. I like them with french cuffs, but I don't care for barrel cuffs.

10. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Unambiguous response: Hell to the No!, as Whitney Houston would say.

I'll keep my contrast collar/cuff shirts. You and Whitney can do as you please:

[​IMG]

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

Contrasting collar shirt always remind of a shirt that had an original collar replaced.

[​IMG] That's how I acquired all of mine. T&A often runs out of their proprietary shirting leaving white as the only option.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

They are fashionable these days - oddly without contrasting cuffs (wtf?). I don't think they're terrible, but ONLY with a suit and a tie.

13. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I wouldn't wear them for business because of the whole Gordon Gekko image that they have. I think when a guy wears them for business he looks like he's trying to hard to project the power image. However, I do wear them sometimes for social occassions. I like to wear a striped shirt with a white collar and white french cuffs with a paisley tie to more formal occassions at night, such as a dinner at a nice fancy restaurant.

14. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

I've worn them and actually like the look, notwithstanding Mr. Gekko. [​IMG] But they are not what I usually use with a suit as I see it as a "special" like having a contrasting piping on the collar edge. I agree though, not for casual wear (at least what's shown, although I can imagine...

15. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Not my bag, baby.

16. Master Shake

Master Shake Senior member

Longtime lurker coming out to defend contrasting collars. For whatever reason, I am not a fan of collars with stripes or most other patterns, so I have white collars and cuffs put on my otherwise patterned shirts for business. Also, I think white is a very good color for my skin tone, and so having a contrasting collar (and of course cuffs) allows for better framing of the face and the infusion of color and patterns.

Since most of my shirts are solids, contrasting collar shirts are by no means a linchpin of my wardrobe, and I probably would never try to make this a common look.

I agree that this look is out of place in casual wear.

17. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Senior member

I have a green/blue/white striped T&A shirt with a white collar and cuffs as well as a royal blue solid RLPL shirt with white (Keaton) collar and royal blue cuffs. I'm OK with the T&A and I love the RLPL, although I originally thought the color was much too dark for me.

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]contrasting collars?

no offense... [​IMG]

19. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I was under the impression this was somehow an English
    idea, and with that some sartorial tradition. For as much as English influence is paid homage, i'd think they would be more readily accepted. I know the connection with the detachable collar historicaly, but does someone know if there is an actual English provenance to this?

20. Sator

Sator Senior member

Well that's exactly how they started. When you wore out the detachable collar and cuffs you got new white ones to replace them.

That said, I do like them.