1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Contrasting boutonniere hole/cuff buttonhole stitching

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kayaker, Jan 13, 2012.

1. kayaker

kayaker Member

I saw contrast white stitching on a gant navy blazer and liked it. I'm considering having my tailor add this to my navy blazer, but wanted input on potential downsides in the flexibility of the garment, etc. the contrast white stitching is in the lapel button hole and first button of the cuffs. Any quick input appreciated!!

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Senior member

3. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

4. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

5. kayaker

kayaker Member

6. Manofstyle85

Manofstyle85 Senior member

I hate this crap, I think it's very very very very tacky. Astor & Black is doing a lot of them, they claim to be bespoke.

7. JTA

JTA Senior member

It's a matter of taste.

8. Sanguis Mortuum

Sanguis Mortuum Senior member

99% of the time it just looks tacky.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

Don't - it looks dreadful: A good way to ruin something.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  10. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

I think the Gant blazer looks a little eccentric- but then I guess it's supposed to, what with elbow patches too. Bit risky to add the white detailing if your blazer is already fine. Leave as it is.

11. kayaker

kayaker Member

Ok, thanks for talking me off the ledge! Would probably have regretted the decision.

12. connor09

connor09 Senior member

Good for you because it would have been a disaster. The gant blazer is perfect the way it is.

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

:nodding:

14. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

I disagree with the groupthink on this one... while it's true contrasting color buttonholes evokes a casual air and maybe a bad high school uniform you may remember, if the rest of the getup is tasteful, I think it adds a subtle, interesting touch. To my eyes, a pocketsquare is much more prone to be tacky.

[​IMG]

15. rs232

rs232 Senior member

I'm going to say that there are times when a contrasting milanaise is appropriate. I agree with the general sentiment that high contrast doesn't look great, but I've always liked contrast on tweeds (for example, when the contrasting colour picks up the overcheck in the cloth).

Here's an experimental one I did yesterday - black on B/W birdseye, and thicker gimp than I usually use. I think the thick gimp is a bit of a miss unless on overcoats, but I'm glad I tried so that I know for the future.

[​IMG]

16. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^That looks ok to me.

17. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Senior member

Bumping this thread for a couple of reasons:

1) I see Kirk Herbstreet sporting these every week and think it looks awful. He typically "coordinates" it with a shirt / / pocket square combination that was clearly contrived to create one specific outfit. I love the job he does on TV but his clothing always come across as tacky.

2) I found the sport coat on Ben's website: http://ehaberdasher.com/index.php/clothing/benjamin-sport-coat-39r-40r.html

Love the pattern but the accent stitching on the lapel turned me off. However, maybe it isn't so bad because the accent is the secondary color of the fabric.

Please share your thoughts.

Thanks