Contrast white collar and medium blue shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fnsret, Nov 7, 2012.

1. fnsret

fnsret Member

What color tie would go with a contrast white collar medium blue shirt (blue oxford color) and a dark brown suit? I haven't worn many contrast shirts. I have a nice maroon tie with cream and light blue lined diamond shapes with a darker blue inside them?

2. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I would just bin the shirt.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

upr_crust wears them pretty regularly over in WAYWRN, though I don't know if they're oxford cloth. I have a blue oc contrast collar that I'll wear occasionally, usually with an almost black blue tie or something in browns with a hint of blue, depending on the cardigan/jacket being worn with it.
    [​IMG]

I have another blue contrast collar (non oc with white graph checks), but the tie I wear with that was widely panned, so that's not getting re-posted.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Don't be stupid. Honestly, you are complaining about the unhelpfulness of answers in another thread, and you say something like this, when: 1. you haven't even seen the shirt in question; and 2. whether you like them or not, contrast collar shirts are a classic item of gentleman's clothing, particularly in the British tradition.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  5. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I wasn't really complaining, more pointing it out as an aside, but point taken. As for contrast collars, I find them unsightly -- somehow remind me of bibs -- and associate them with the worst elements of the i-banker set. Not a very scientific critique, of course, but few discussions about clothes can ever be.

6. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

The contrast collar can be tricky but maybe use a tie with a brighter hue and not brown.

7. fnsret

fnsret Member

[​IMG]
    Here is the shirt and tie combination.

8. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

I love contrast collars. I have contrast collar shirts in blue/white shirt but usually pair it with grey suits. Usually a darker tie, dark purple, burgundy etc.

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I agree that if you wear these kinds of shirts with loud visible braces and big shouldered suits, then you have the elements of a power-dressing disaster. But, taken in themeslves and thoughtfully combined, contrast-collars can be fine. Oh, and apologies for calling you ' stupid' BTW...

10. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

No worries. :fistbump: