Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Contrast white collar and medium blue shirt?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by fnsret, Nov 7, 2012.

1. fnsret

fnsret Member

What color tie would go with a contrast white collar medium blue shirt (blue oxford color) and a dark brown suit? I haven't worn many contrast shirts. I have a nice maroon tie with cream and light blue lined diamond shapes with a darker blue inside them?

2. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I would just bin the shirt.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

upr_crust wears them pretty regularly over in WAYWRN, though I don't know if they're oxford cloth. I have a blue oc contrast collar that I'll wear occasionally, usually with an almost black blue tie or something in browns with a hint of blue, depending on the cardigan/jacket being worn with it.
    [​IMG]

I have another blue contrast collar (non oc with white graph checks), but the tie I wear with that was widely panned, so that's not getting re-posted.

4. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

Don't be stupid. Honestly, you are complaining about the unhelpfulness of answers in another thread, and you say something like this, when: 1. you haven't even seen the shirt in question; and 2. whether you like them or not, contrast collar shirts are a classic item of gentleman's clothing, particularly in the British tradition.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012

5. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I wasn't really complaining, more pointing it out as an aside, but point taken. As for contrast collars, I find them unsightly -- somehow remind me of bibs -- and associate them with the worst elements of the i-banker set. Not a very scientific critique, of course, but few discussions about clothes can ever be.

6. guymac12

guymac12 Senior member

The contrast collar can be tricky but maybe use a tie with a brighter hue and not brown.

7. fnsret

fnsret Member

[​IMG]
    Here is the shirt and tie combination.

8. addedfuel

addedfuel Senior member

I love contrast collars. I have contrast collar shirts in blue/white shirt but usually pair it with grey suits. Usually a darker tie, dark purple, burgundy etc.

9. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

I agree that if you wear these kinds of shirts with loud visible braces and big shouldered suits, then you have the elements of a power-dressing disaster. But, taken in themeslves and thoughtfully combined, contrast-collars can be fine. Oh, and apologies for calling you ' stupid' BTW...

10. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

No worries. :fistbump: