1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Contrast collars are the new skinny ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Don Carlos, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Chips

Chips Senior member

When my friends and I go to happy hour, it always seems that the loudest, most obnoxious/miserable assholes in the bar are the guys harassing the waitresses and proudly sporting loud, ill-fitting, light blue shirting with a bright white collar.

These are the guys who hit on girls mercilessly claiming that they're "bankers" when, in fact, they are bank tellers or - at best - one of those guys who calls you from your local bank after your balance has exceeded some arbitrary amount ($10,000) and they want you to stop in as soon as possible so that they can 'splain all the amazing shit they can do to your account now that you're a super duper highfalutin VIP customer of the bank.

These douches have permanently turned me off to a classic look, one that traces back to a day when rich men showed off their wealth and ability to clean their detachable, starched collars after each wear by commissioning a contrasting collar for their blue shirting. Dah, well. Collars don't detach any more (unless you're Bown's Bespoke and you're into costumish get-ups), so this look has outlived its usefulness anyway.

Beware the bright white collar on the light blue shirt. It is steadily firming-up its place as the international sign of douchebaggotry, something of a sartorial Von Dutch or Ed Hardy.

I think it's far from the douchebaggery of Ed Hardy. Even though, you were only citing that to make a point.

If the majority of individuals you encountered wearing contrasting collared shirts were well mannered, you likely wouldn't be ranting that way.

My point being, that regardless of the way any individual acts, any Ed Hardy, Von Dutch, or tacky looking crap is going to look like crap regardless of the character of the person wearing it. I'd say, rock the contrast collar, be nice to people you encounter and change the perception of a few people out there who think that all guys in contrast collared shirts are Gordon Gecko douchebag bankers.

2. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

Contrast collar shirt need to be made good,
    many look cheap.

3. Son Of Saphir

Son Of Saphir Senior member

No. And the same applies to "club collars." The pictures of both in this thread make the case.

Most club collar shirt look bad because they are cheap.
    Club collar shirt need to be made proper.

4. EdenResident

EdenResident Senior member