• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contrast Collar Shirts.. Which one to buy?!

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
stay away from contrast collars until you've reached partner level...

additionally, formal wear and casual night outs should be two completely different sets of shirts.

Last edited:

rick07

Reaction score
Not enamored by contrast collar shirts but if you're choosing those, maybe the 1st one from the left.

Stylishmartita

Reaction score
Yes, I'd choose the first one too. I'd recommend a striped or a one-color shirt to be worn for formal occasions: squared shirts are more casual.
smile.gif

Yorsch

Reaction score

stay away from contrast collars until you've reached partner level...

Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. :D

The first two from the left look pretty good, but I would keep them for office only.

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I really don't 'get' contrast collar shirts. To my mind they look like the embodiment of the negative connotation of the term 'suits' i.e. boring, square, dull office management drones with no imagination or flair. Who aspires to look like their bank manager? Gordon Gecko might have given them some gravitas but that was a film not the real world.
Anyway choose to ignore all this if you will, but for your own good do not wear these on a night out.

Yorsch

Reaction score
I personally love contrast collar shirts.
The reason is white collar allows me to wear colors that usually wouldn't look great with my skin tone. (Anything non white, blue or black)

I know contrast collars do not get a lot of love on SF, but I think it's a great look. However I think I might be abusing it, wearing contrast collars way too often.

Last edited:

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The spread collar exposing the white collar band beneath the tie makes me dislike them even more.
People in the real world who wear contrast collars include those paragons of style Terry Wogan (Irish TV talk show host with the worst comb over since Bobby Charlton) and Hugh Hefner when he's not in his pyjamas. Don't forget your sailor's cap!:D

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

o come on, i think its a great look =)

Horses for courses mate. Which is fine, life would be boring if we all dressed the same way. I rarely use the word 'never', but I'm confident I will never buy either a contrast collar shirt or, at the other end of the spectrum, a button down. Nor a severe cutaway spread. Maybe I'm the dullard?

duggyald

Reaction score
I'd choose the 1st one too. I think it's a very youthful look and style.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like contrast collars, but not cuffs. I don't like any of the choices above.

Most of my favourite contrast collars are casual; club collars, buttndowns and oxfords.

Last edited:

JustDucky

Reaction score
As far as "casual night out contrast collar" shirts go, I kinda like the idea behind this look:

http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/me...ueen-contrast-collar-shirt-item-10124978.aspx

It's just different and (imo) a little bit fun. I think the stripes and the soft colors go a long way towards doing away with the negative connotations of the look.

A question for OP, though: is there any particular reason you're shopping for contrast color shirts? Is it just to have something a little different in your wardrobe?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads