• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

contrast collar/cuff - non-french okay??

beny

Reaction score
Is it acceptable to get a MTM contrast collar/cuff shirt in a barrel cuff? Or is this against some rule?

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There have been threads on this subject ad nauseam. However, that you're asking the question essentially means that you know something is wrong with it, so why would you do it?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's fine.

beny

Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
There have been threads on this subject ad nauseam. However, that you're asking the question essentially means that you know something is wrong with it, so why would you do it?
I searched and couldn't find any threads. I like the look, but I'm going to be an investment banking analyst (bottom of the totem pole) and contrast collar + French cuffs would scream "pretentious". It's a luxury reserved for the VPs and MDs. I was hoping that I could get away with barrel cuffs, so that it doesn't come off as formal, while still giving me the contrast collar look that I like.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by polar-lemon

+1

One thread with many pictures was the 'folded shirt Appreciation'

poelow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by beny
and contrast collar + French cuffs would scream "pretentious". It's a luxury reserved for the VPs and MDs. I was hoping that I could get away with barrel cuffs, so that it doesn't come off as formal, while still giving me the contrast collar look that I like.

Uggh, why are French cuffs seen as so formal? Is it because they are on tuxedo shirts? I just see it as another way of fastening your cuffs; I have heard it is not a big deal in Europe.... something about us Americans worried about looking "pretentious".

Anyway, I think you should go with the contrasting French cuffs instead of contrasting barrel cuffs. Or have you though about just making the collar white, and the cuffs the fabric of the shirt body? Maybe some "unpretentious" silk knots to tag along?
smile.gif

Sebastian

Reaction score
I can't see that problem neither.

Personally I wear French cuffs always when I wear a jacket. So also to very casual looks with Blazers and sportcoats. No big deal at all. To be honest, sometimes, I wear them even to jeans or cords and V-neck when not wearing a jacket. IMO it's just a little elegance added to every outfit, nothing "pretentious" at all.

And my 2 cents to the initial question: I would go for contrasting cuffs only with French cuffs. But surely a question of personal taste and no rule there.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It is Against The Rules.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
It is Against The Rules.

If the poster thinks the combo would suggest to his co workers that he had ideas above his station, how does he think barrel cuffs in lieu of french would mitigate that perception. Quite apart from that, it is as Manton points out a solecism in shirtland.

Sebastian

Reaction score
I like this esemble Andrea Sperelli is wearing:
sperelli-headshot.jpg

I think it works, but maybe the light blue in collar and cuffs doesn't make such a big contrast as white would do.

518aata

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have quite a few contrast collared shirts, in solids, stripes and even checks (why should ties have all the fun?). Only two have barrel cuffs, and they are the only two that don't also have contrast cuffs. I find that I wear those two less frequently, for the reason that others have offered -- that the contrast collar is more formal, and therefore pairs better with French cuffs.

John Ellis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastian
I like this esemble Andrea Sperelli is wearing:
sperelli-headshot.jpg

I think it works, but maybe the light blue in collar and cuffs doesn't make such a big contrast as white would do.

No I don't see this look making Beny's co workers think he was the least bit pretentious.
confused.gif

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by John Ellis
No I don't see this look making Beny's co workers think he was the least bit pretentious.
confused.gif

Just throwing it into discussion.

Well, but after looking twice I can see your point.
blush.gif

beny

Reaction score
Another thing; As my office is bizcas, I won't be wearing a tie or a jacket, and I think that French cuffs would look weird and be even louder in this case.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads