• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

contrast collar/cuff - non-french okay??

beny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Is it acceptable to get a MTM contrast collar/cuff shirt in a barrel cuff? Or is this against some rule?
 

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Joined
Apr 18, 2008
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
2
There have been threads on this subject ad nauseam. However, that you're asking the question essentially means that you know something is wrong with it, so why would you do it?
 

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 2, 2005
Messages
12,940
Reaction score
467
It's fine.
 

beny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
There have been threads on this subject ad nauseam. However, that you're asking the question essentially means that you know something is wrong with it, so why would you do it?
I searched and couldn't find any threads. I like the look, but I'm going to be an investment banking analyst (bottom of the totem pole) and contrast collar + French cuffs would scream "pretentious". It's a luxury reserved for the VPs and MDs. I was hoping that I could get away with barrel cuffs, so that it doesn't come off as formal, while still giving me the contrast collar look that I like.
 

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2007
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by polar-lemon
There have been threads on this subject ad nauseam. However, that you're asking the question essentially means that you know something is wrong with it, so why would you do it?

+1

One thread with many pictures was the 'folded shirt porn'
 

poelow

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2007
Messages
141
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by beny
and contrast collar + French cuffs would scream "pretentious". It's a luxury reserved for the VPs and MDs. I was hoping that I could get away with barrel cuffs, so that it doesn't come off as formal, while still giving me the contrast collar look that I like.

Uggh, why are French cuffs seen as so formal? Is it because they are on tuxedo shirts? I just see it as another way of fastening your cuffs; I have heard it is not a big deal in Europe.... something about us Americans worried about looking "pretentious".

Anyway, I think you should go with the contrasting French cuffs instead of contrasting barrel cuffs. Or have you though about just making the collar white, and the cuffs the fabric of the shirt body? Maybe some "unpretentious" silk knots to tag along?
 

Sebastian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
988
Reaction score
56
I can't see that problem neither.

Personally I wear French cuffs always when I wear a jacket. So also to very casual looks with Blazers and sportcoats. No big deal at all. To be honest, sometimes, I wear them even to jeans or cords and V-neck when not wearing a jacket. IMO it's just a little elegance added to every outfit, nothing "pretentious" at all.

And my 2 cents to the initial question: I would go for contrasting cuffs only with French cuffs. But surely a question of personal taste and no rule there.
 

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Joined
Apr 20, 2002
Messages
41,583
Reaction score
2,865
It is Against The Rules.
 

John Ellis

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
777
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Manton
It is Against The Rules.

If the poster thinks the combo would suggest to his co workers that he had ideas above his station, how does he think barrel cuffs in lieu of french would mitigate that perception. Quite apart from that, it is as Manton points out a solecism in shirtland.
 

Sebastian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
988
Reaction score
56
I like this esemble Andrea Sperelli is wearing:


I think it works, but maybe the light blue in collar and cuffs doesn't make such a big contrast as white would do.
 

518aata

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
1,343
Reaction score
127
I have quite a few contrast collared shirts, in solids, stripes and even checks (why should ties have all the fun?). Only two have barrel cuffs, and they are the only two that don't also have contrast cuffs. I find that I wear those two less frequently, for the reason that others have offered -- that the contrast collar is more formal, and therefore pairs better with French cuffs.
 

John Ellis

Senior Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
777
Reaction score
1
Originally Posted by Sebastian
I like this esemble Andrea Sperelli is wearing:


I think it works, but maybe the light blue in collar and cuffs doesn't make such a big contrast as white would do.


No I don't see this look making Beny's co workers think he was the least bit pretentious.
 

Sebastian

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 7, 2008
Messages
988
Reaction score
56
Originally Posted by John Ellis
No I don't see this look making Beny's co workers think he was the least bit pretentious.


Just throwing it into discussion.

Well, but after looking twice I can see your point.
 

beny

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 24, 2008
Messages
92
Reaction score
0
Another thing; As my office is bizcas, I won't be wearing a tie or a jacket, and I think that French cuffs would look weird and be even louder in this case.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

  • JW Anderson x Uniqlo

  • Nigo x Virgil Abloh

  • Converse x Midnight Studios

  • Rick Owens x Champion

  • Barbour x Engineered Garments

  • Adidas x Bed JW Ford

  • Jordan Brand x Dior

  • Billie Eilish x Takashi Murakami

  • Lego x Levi's


Results are only viewable after voting.

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
446,918
Messages
9,667,220
Members
201,984
Latest member
bestawningcompany
Top