Contrary to popular SF belief, shoes with glued-on soles don't disintegrate immediately

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by BigRob, Nov 12, 2013.

1. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

BS!

2. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

I think this really depends on the woman and the social circle. Women who live in cities and meet a lot of young professional types are much more likely to notice and care about these things. Same goes for women who went to schools where they were exposed to people with luxurious tastes. I do think that decent (AE or higher) and well cared for / shined shoes make a positive social impression in general, but it matters more in some areas than others. Almost nobody cares if you have on G&Gs, but I think you get points for not wearing shoes that look cheap.

3. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Senior member

that's why i wear mine with the price tag hanging off the tongue

4. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

:rotflmao:

5. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

No, I am a highly-educated and intelligent professional who considers it proper and just to familiarize the less fortunate with reasonable positions.

You ought to (in the parlance of our times) recognize.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I think it has more to do with age. Women over the age of say 35 may recognize and appreciate quality shoes on a man. I work with hundreds of 20s to 30s professional women in NYC. They tend to dislike squared toe shoes, but if a guy put on a $70 pair of aldo wingtips, they would likely think the dude is looking sharp. They seem to like my C&Js as well, but not any more or less than the cheapie wingtips. I also think most women think that GQ represents the pinnacle of men's style.

After mid 30s, the classic, well dressed man starts to appeal to women more, in my opinion.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

No one who defines their occupation as being "a professional" can be highly-educated or intelligent.

8. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Even your choice of images/meme is banal and mediocre. Here's a sassy bobcat, let this be a lesson to you all: [​IMG]

10. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I liked Rob more when he went by his given name, Reevolving.

11. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

Strong words for a man who considers a doctor/lawyer who calls himself a professional to be neither highly-educated nor intelligent.

(So untenable a position is so rarely espoused, friend, that I've no hope for you.)

12. jdiaz26

jdiaz26 Active Member

[​IMG]

13. dbhdnhdbh

dbhdnhdbh Senior member

I don't wear expensive shoes or clothes, but I do think there is a difference, down to a point, between them. At some point shoe construction suffers as you cut prices. DWF would say there is a huge drop in quality and durability when one goes from hand welted to Goodyear welted construction. That transition takes place at a very high price point. Ignoring hand welted shoes, GY welted shoes can be resoled readily. I don't know whether glued on soles can be, but the shoes tend not to be made to last that long. It is conceivable that buying at the low end of GY welted and resoling might have a cost advantage over the high end of glued on. But if you go low enough in price, then resoling can cost as much as another pair of glue jobs.

Among GY welted shoes, it is not clear that there are durability differences between the bottom and the top of that market. Perhaps there are, but I have not hear experts, in this case cobblers, offer opinions. It seems that people who buy expensive shoes are mainly attracted by the finishing, style, perhaps the name of the manufacturer. As many of these comments illustrate, these people view their shoes as style items. Lobbs are worth far more than CJ, which are worth far more than AE because of the style considerations. As with women's clothes, this is part of the entertainment industry. People pursue fashion and buy fancy clothes for the fun of it.

Your own appearance has no effect on the look of the shoes.

Suits are a different matter. They do not sustain the stresses of being walked on, rough city streets, water splashed on them... Durability is not nearly so much of a consideration. They are even more style items than are shoes. But how a suit looks depends very heavily not only on fit, but on the fitness of the wearer. If I were built like, say, LeBron James, then perhaps it might make sense for me to show off my physique with a carefully tailored suit. But if I were built like him, then dressing to show it would impress people a lot more than the cost or tailoring of the suit.

I am way too cheap to buy expensive shoes, but my feet have been happier since I switched from cheap shoes with excessively flexible glued on rubber soles to cheap (used) better made shoes with leather soles. I don't know whether anyone notices my shoes, but I really don't care. I do not wear them to make style statements or attract ladies. I wear them to conform, more or less, with expectations for my work, and to protect my feet. I don't need to spend $2000, or even $200, to do that.

14. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

[​IMG]

I've got to admit, OP's picking you guys apart with the type of pin-point logic that we need more of around these parts.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Pinpoint logic? It's a completely he-said-she-said argument, based on a very limited and not very relevant premise. Furthermore, his "rebuttal" didn't even address my point--that this is a forum of enthusiasts, and thus what the other 99% of people do or do not do or notice is irrelevant.

Here's an equally valid counterpoint--I have also owned cheap glued shoes and nicer shoes. My cheap shoes had to be replaced every 7-9 months when they fell apart. My first pair of "nice" shoes are going on four years now. Considering that those "cheap" shoes cost me $100/pair and my first pair of "nice" shoes were Allen Edmonds at $300, the AE were clearly the better buy, not even factoring in the time it took me to find a pair of shoes that I liked, particularly given my wide feet.

Granted, one should not view them as a monetary investment. No clothing should be--once you clear a very basic threshold, it becomes a discretionary expense. Treating it as anything other than that is just a good way to get yourself in trouble. When people say a nice pair of shoes, suit, etc are an investment piece, they mean that it is a piece that can form a central part of your wardrobe and get a great deal of use over a long period of time, and it may thus be worth allocating more of your budget towards that item. They don't mean that you should go buy the EGs because you will somehow be more monetarily wealthy for having bought them.

And again, the point still stands--this is a forum of clothing enthusiasts. They value clothing, and everything that goes with that, particularly aesthetics and build quality. Those "nice" shoes or suit or whatever have value beyond the pure monetary.