• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Continue My Evolution: T Shirt Recommendations

Lawman

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the advice so far as to denim trou. I am now moving on to shirts. I would love to pick up some solid t shirts, heavy cotton, durable, vintage look. I am not averse to text or brand logos per se, but most of the stuff I see advertising brands of clothing look terrible to me. Keep in mind that I am 47, not 23. Where should I be looking?

What other kinds of shirts pair well with jeans these days? Brands and styles? I kind of look vintage look polos, not pique polos, but the smoother, heavier, washed polos. Thoughts?

Thanks. Ten pairs of jeans and, gulp, twelve pairs of sneakers in about two months time. And desert boots, some Timberlands.....

connor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for t-shirts you kinda just buy around until you find one that fits you well... american apparel, alternative apparel, nothing wrong with hanes...

or if you want to spend a bnch of money the other high end brands make t-shirts too

Transcendental

Reaction score
Can't go wrong with just plain tees. If you're looking for a cheap alternative, Polo makes a pretty good selection of basic tees and I love their long sleeve tees

Marcus Brody

Reaction score
I prefer plain t-shirts. I usually get mine in packs from a place like Marshalls or Ross. They're cheap, so you can afford to experiment.

Right now I'm wearing a plain pima cotton t from Armani Exchange. A|X is usually a brand I'm not a huge fan of, but I stopped in one time to find these t-shirts on sale and I bought several in different colors and necks. They aren't heavy, but no others I own are as soft, light, and finely woven.

Bsides

Reaction score
Personally, I really like t-shirts in a 50/50 cotton/poly blend material. They can be solid color and still have a nice heathered texture that makes them look a bit classier in my opinion than a solid jersy T. I have also found that they tend to hold their shape much better.

The American Apparel ones are nice and I think probably the nicest thing that you can get at that store. If you get them in bulk you can save money through a wholesaler. I like them because they are cut long and slim.

Although I have never owned one, I am always hearing high praise for Raf T-shirts. The solid color ones. Thats if you wanna spend some money though.

Bsides

Reaction score
Ill add though that I almost always HATE graphic T's. WIth very few exceptions I find them to be very cheap lookinvg and guady.

I would suggest you get a few v-necks as well though. Girls like em.

centrix

Reaction score
alternative apparel looks awesome
PIMA COTTON FOREVER

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If a noob had posted this, they would be dead by now.

Lawman

Reaction score
I love this place! Keeps a body humble and feeling stoopid, which everyone needs now and then. Good tips.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would recommend both American Apparel and Alternative Apparel for t-shirts. You can get them on-line from resellers such as trendyblanks.com for about $7 each.

If you like the vintage look, Alternative tends to offer muted color choices closer to that aesthetic, whereas American tends more towards the bright colors. Also, I think Alternative's quality is slightly better.

Another thing to consider is the cut of the t-shirt. Most of the t-shirts from these companies are cut such that they get wider near the bottom as if to conceal a beer belly. I personally think this style looks really bad and sloppy.

The American Apparel baby ribbed t-shirts are different though since they actually taper inward slightly near the bottom. If you're not overweight, I feel they look better on most people. And even if the tightness of this shirt bothers you, you can always size up one. The shirts are so cheap you should order several different cuts the first time and see what you like best before ordering more.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't wear many graphic tees because most are tacky looking. However, don't dismiss them entirely. Every now and then I run across one that's tasteful and doesn't look too juvenile. Wings+Horns is brand that often makes a few nice understated ones each season.

In the summer months I often find myself wearing a white tee shirt together with denim. The white looks so light and refreshing for summer and is a classic look. However, a plain white t-shirt can look awfully bland and in warm weather it's difficult to overcome this with layering. But if the white shirt has a subtle pattern or graphic on it, the whole outfit looks a lot more interesting and less plain looking. I have also found that a monochromatic design in the graphic is generally best and often looks more sophisticated than a colorful one.

Reaction score
I would recomend the zaras basic tee or the bannana republic pima cotton tees, these seem to work well for me

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads