1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Continuaton of french cuff...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by spinlps, Feb 17, 2004.

1. spinlps

spinlps Well-Known Member

A timely topic...

My wife and I had this discussion over the weekend, she on the yah, myself on the nay.

Guess I've always thought of French Cuffs as suit only wear, but my wife is encouraging me to wear them more casually.

So... when wearing them sans suit, what do you pair them with (jeans only, or are khaki's, casual pants, etc.. acceptable?)? Tucked / untucked? Metal links vs silk links? Full sleeve or rolled up?

2. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

I wouldn't wear a solid white or blue french cuff with jeans. That's strictly office attire.

On the other hand, I do like to wear multistripe or other strongly patterned french cuff shirts from the likes of Paul Smith or Thomas Pink with my jeans. Typically I'll wear them untucked, top two buttons undone, with silk knot links. If I'm wearing a blazer, I'll tuck in the shirt. I get lots of complements on the look.

I also don't hold back on rolling up the sleeves if it gets hot.

Montecristo#4

3. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'm with your wife here, as long as the shirt is slim. This goes for nearly all shirts worn untucked with jeans, but holds particularly for French cuffed shirts. One trick is to buy the sleeves a size short and wear the cuffs unfolded. I disagree with Monte Cristo's comment about the blue and white though. I think that they'll do fine as lng as the cut is right. The look works both with jeans or with a slim flatfront pant, but would look horrible with khakis (but then again, I think that khakis look generally pretty horrible in any case.)

4. alaaro

alaaro Senior Member

I posted this question a while back. I ended up wearing french cuffs with black slacks, no tie or jacket for new years. Got a ton of comments, everyone liked. I have moved on to wearing cuffs with nice jeans when I am going out to a nicer bar/club. Even more positive comments.

So go with it. It definitely works.

5. Classic

Classic Senior Member

IMO khakis are a definite no.
    As for how and what style/cut of shirt to wear, I say go with what you like, just look into the mirror first to make sure that it looks good.
    Personally, I wear the shirt tucked in, and sorry montecristo, but I agree with LA Guy, blue and white look great with jeans. I even wear dress shirts with contrasting collar and french cuffs, and this look generally receives the most compliments, especially from the women.

6. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior Member

I think it is perfectly OK to wear French cuff shirts with Jeans. It looks smart and is a unique look.Here in New Zealand it is quite the In thing.
    it should be encouraged. Personally I myself wear the shirt tucked in when wearing it with Jeans but it is a matter of personal preference.
    Like montecristo, On a hot day, I unfasten the cufflinks, fold them into the shirt cuffs and fold the cuffs back .
    I quite like that look.
    Stuart

7. prompe

prompe Member

If you're familiar with BBC programming, the presenter for "Changing Rooms", Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, pulls off casual french cuffs with jeans, with leather pants, with just about anything. Check out http://www.bbc.co.uk/homes/programmes/ for a sample photo.

8. Classic

Classic Senior Member

Being casual Friday at work, most all the males wears jeans. Rather than wear a t-shirt or some other sweater as most do, I wore a dress shirt with french cuffs. While there was some comical comments made by some of the men, all of the women in the office expressed favourable comments. A few came by my office to provide even more personal favourable comments.
    All in all, definitely worth the few jabs from the men.

9. j

j (stands for Jerk) Admin

I sometimes do this. Does anyone have a suggestion for outerwear over an untucked french cuff shirt and jeans? It's often too warm for my pea coat although that used to be my main option. Maybe a car coat length jacket? We can assume the shirt is cut wear-out-ably short.

10. Classic

Classic Senior Member

Forgot to add that the dress shirt was solid light blue with contrasting white collar and cuffs.

11. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

A zip cardigan as long as it is long enough and pretty fitted will do, as will a slim western or a Harrington style jacket. The shirt doesn't have to be covered, but unless you are wearing a very fitted jean jacket over a slightly longer shirt, shouldn't show too much shirt tail.

12. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior Member

This is quite a smart look. I have a shirt similar myself. I like the look particularly with the casual look. It is quite fashionable here in New Zealand.where I am from.It is to be encouraged.
    Stuart

13. Classic

Classic Senior Member

This morning at work, 3 of the guys wore dress shirts with contrasting collars and cuffs. They all purchased the shirts this weekend, and two of them (both single) even admitted that the only reason they did this was because of the women's comments about my shirt on Friday.

14. stuarts8

stuarts8 Senior Member

It is good to see that your wearing of this particular shirt had a positive effect. Long may it continue. French Cuff shirts are all the rage here in New Zealand now both casually and formally.
    In fact , I would almost say that French cuffs are more popular than the barrel cuff. Now that is saying something.