CONTEST: Best 5 dress watches under $5000.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LA Guy, May 20, 2014.

Who has the best list of dress watches under $5K

Poll closed Jun 13, 2014.
  1. mimo

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  2. DIJr

18 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. CHRK33

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  4. Fred G. Unn (top 4 and 1 slightly over, ahem...)

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Vote in the Poll. You have until Friday the 13th.

Winner will get a shell cordovan watch strap from Leffot and a title. TWAT master for most, and Pernicious Enabler for one.

Cheers,

Fok.

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

This one was the one I like the most. I don't like Cartier's, so the lists including them for me was no-no. Sorry. [​IMG]

3. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

Betel! You of all people! :p

4. blank

blank Senior member

I'm curious to know why Stowa isn't represented? Are their watches not considered "dress" watches?

5. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

Stowa are mostly represented at a lower price point, with stock ETA movements (at the higher level of supplied finishing, admittedly). Nice designs, sure, but most of the watches listed here are a step up.

And I say this as a proud Stowa owner.

Some great lists here gents. Surprised that the base Portofino scraped in under 5K. That is the winner for me, lay-down misère. As for the lists, they were all good, including the one from the "noob". (Clearly not a noob.)

6. DLJr

DLJr TWAT Master.

They are. I own a Marine Original, but frankly, at least for my list, it doesn't really compare to any of my other options. Don't get me wrong, I like Stowa, but if the budget is MSRP $5K, there is so much more you can get for your money IMO. And this is coming from the guy who offered a lot of stuff way under budget.

7. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Senior member

Forgive me mimo! [​IMG]

8. blank

blank Senior member

It is wonderful that everyone has such different taste. I own a Stowa Marine Original -- not only was it well priced at around $1000, but in my personal opinion, it's the nicest of any of the watches we've looked at thus far. Only one watch (the Nomos Metro Datum Gangoreserve -- WOW!) appeals to me.

9. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I love Stowa, and Cox's watch exactly (the Marine Original in white, Arabic numbers, on the mesh bracelet) is right on my wish list. But as he said, it's a lower price point, so even thought the MO would be an awesome dress watch in my opinion (and it's the same size as the Nomos Zurich), I figured I should hit five that wouldn't also enter the "best five under $1000 category" or similar. I like the Baumuster a lot too...and the Antea's a very pretty "proper" dress watch, a lot like the Nomos Tangomat and so cheap...

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I think the Junghans Max Bill is a fair option for a <$5,000 watch. Actually <$2,000; they run at about $1,500 for memory.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

The Max Bill is under a grand for most models, even the mechanical ones, so again I kind of put it in another place. But totally agree, great value.

12. Harryd14

Harryd14 Member

I'm with you Bête on this one. I am not a fan of the Cartier watch. I am not a big fan of rectangular watches to begin with so there is some bias in my opinion but there are some watches like that that I do like more than others. The Cartier watch I do not really enjoy.

On another note - what are ppls opinions on Bell & Ross? I think they make beautiful aviator style watches and they are under the $5k price tag.

(Please excuse my ignorance, I am rather new to the watch game, so be gentle :)

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I was also surprised to not see Bell&Ross, but these are not my lists, and I don't know anything about good watches, but they do look nice to my untrained eye.

If someone had made a list of pretty much anything apparel or accessories, however, that would have been a different story.

14. CHRK33

CHRK33 Senior member

Frankly, I think Bell and Ross, at least their common aviator instrument models, would not be considered dress watches by many die-hard watch enthusiasts.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014

15. mimo

mimo Pernicious Enabler

I think they are hideous. That would be my principle objection. :)