• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Contentious Statement: 'Sartorial' is blown.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I'm with Huntsman on this one. This thread has 'Creatures under a bridge impressions'.
Nah. The Original poster has 630 posts. I think it's just Friday night musings. Wait - is "musings" a pretentious word? For that matter, is "pretentious" a pretentious word?

Oh well - perhaps I'll go read about hats....
devil.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Soph
I'm with Huntsman on this one. This thread has 'Creatures under a bridge impressions'.
IIRC, he is somebody who joined your "fanclub" during the jeans thread.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
IIRC, he is somebody who joined your "fanclub" during the jeans thread.

Excuse me?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Excuse me?
Bergdorf Goodwill took an interest in Soph during the Borrelli jeans thread. He seems to hold a carry a bit of a flame.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bergdorf Goodwill took an interest in Soph during the Borrelli jeans thread. He seems to hold a carry a bit of a flame.

It is a lust that dares not speak its name.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
I guess what I'm saying is this:

Think about real life, where you interact on a physical basis with objects and people (kind of like objects except they are more obnoxiously difficult to bend to your will). Think about saying the word "sartorial." Think about its journey from your mind to your vocal cords to its final exit. Think about the syllables that comprise the word, and the face they will elicit from the speaker. Think about how eminently slappable such a face is.

Is all I'm saying.

Okay, here's what I'm getting so far:

YOU ARE TAKING ONE WORD WAY, WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

After that, I pretty much give up.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah. As I was in the quoted post, I thought, perhaps, that you meant me.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Okay, here's what I'm getting so far:

YOU ARE TAKING ONE WORD WAY, WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

After that, I pretty much give up.

The only thing I take seriously is my whip game. Do you think my neighbors would be okay with an Acclaim, or do I need to show them up with the Tercel? For the record, they are living in a Festiva. While I like the relative roominess of the Acclaim for my living conditions, the import prestige of the Tercel would most appropriately convey the air of distinction and taste that I think best accompanies my bon vivant lifestyle.

Tampan

Reaction score
The term "sartorial," ... has become increasingly cloying and reads poorly.

It depends whether it's-art-or-i-ally myself with the original poster. In this case, it reads horrifically.

But cloying? 'Cloy', from Middle English, meaning 'lame'. No, this post is lame. Chile makes some great Cab Savs, and I should be asleep.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To stop writing like some young guy trying to cut his teeth writing style articles for Cargo Magazine that he's primarily cribbed from blogs written by 17-year-olds who are themselves biting European fashion magazines, which are an instrument of fascism?

Think about real life, where you interact on a physical basis with objects and people (kind of like objects except they are more obnoxiously difficult to bend to your will). Think about saying the word "sartorial." Think about its journey from your mind to your vocal cords to its final exit. Think about the syllables that comprise the word, and the face they will elicit from the speaker. Think about how eminently slappable such a face is.

Is all I'm saying.
So, how's that anger management therapy coming?

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is all I'm saying.

I guess we should ban all words that aren't commonly used on MTV. And I advise people not to slap me.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come to think of it, I don't think I have ever used, nor would I ever use, the word "sartorial" in real life. And, the more I think about it, if somebody used the word "sartorial" when speaking to me in real life, I would think them a huge nerd.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The problem is that there isn't a synonym in English. "Clothing-related"?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
The problem is that there isn't a synonym in English. "Clothing-related"?

Yeah, but, come up with a sentence where you feel that you would really need to use the word sartorial to express what you are saying and that you would use in real life.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I think sartorial is a cool word. Then again I like artisan and artisanal as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads