• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

contemporary slim fit or traditional cut suit

Jasper 47

Reaction score
Hi, is it acceptable for a guy to wear a contemporary fit suit after the age of 45, with a slimmer fit trousers. Just purchased a beautiful quality suit. Jacket fits perfectly but as I'm tall, pretty slim, I feel a little conscious of the trousers that feel a lot narrower than I'm used too, Just about covering the top of my preferred suede chukka. Do you think I've got a little "young" with this fit or should I embrace this newer style and simply get used to it??

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw a gray-haired U.S. ambassador to a country that I don't remember at the moment, and he was wearing a slim-fit suit. He actually looked good in it as he was quite slim and appeared to be fit. The suit seemed befitting despite his age which I guess was upper 50's. However, it did stand out as different from the norm, and I pondered for a moment as to how it looked.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It will all depend upon your build and the purpose for wearing the suit. You do not specify circumstances which is critical but you risk being ridiculed.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Post a picture. But I suspect if it fits well, it shouldn't matter too much as long as you aren't 70.

Jasper 47

Reaction score
Hi saiyar 1, after a fair bit of consideration, I'm taking your opinion on this one! Essentially what I have is an exceptional quality suit that fits well (I'm 6'2"/ 14.5 english stone). Its not too dramatic a change away from my normal choice from a traditional block. Certainly, the slimmer "Italian" silhouette of the jacket looks if anything to be an improvement. A narrower fit trouser does bring out a longish shoe more to the wearers view and I think this is what initially startled a little. That aside, I think a greying thatch shouldn't be all that puts a stop to a little experimentation! Its a little early for the beige safari suit!! Thanks to all for the advice.

saiyar1

Reaction score
Once you get used to seeing yourself in the slimmer pants you may even prefer them!

imanewbie

Reaction score
It will all depend upon your build and the purpose for wearing the suit. You do not specify circumstances which is critical but you risk being ridiculed.
X2, i dont get it when folks ask about the slim fits. Slim fit is made for folks who are smaller than normal its NOT A FAD or anything. if your body is small then slim fit is for your since classic fit clothing will look like a parchute.

a 300lber will not pull off a slim fit look fyi......

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is only one fit for suits, it is the custom fit that looks god on your body, regardless of the traditional or contemporary bullshit

Jasper 47

Reaction score
Hi imanewbie, appreciate your point but I think the suit in question is "styled" slim as oppose to being just a suit for smaller guys. True, it is always going to be difficult for a 6' guy, either 130lb or 300lb to find a well fitting suit, but an average sized guy can look equally fine in either classic or slim fit. The only point I was making was that in terms of age is there a cut off with slim fit? I now believe that there isn't. The suit itself isn't half bad I'm sure you'll agree and will likely be fine with pretty much all age groups ; http://www.mrporter.com/product/190426

imanewbie

Reaction score
Age or not I do not believe one dress a certaing 'size' due to age. Granted as we age we put on fat in all different palces, but in the end you buy a suit that you feel good in and not what someone saids is in style. I will forever wear cuts considered 'slim' due to my body type of being lean. I had some talk to me about my suit I wore one day because he said its a 'fad' that i was wearing a suit that cut close to my body and that I needed to gain some weight to get with the times since being slim is going out the door and buying a suit 1 to 2 times your size is coming back in style. im like WTF?????

Quote:

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Age or not I do not believe one dress a certaing 'size' due to age. Granted as we age we put on fat in all different palces, but in the end you buy a suit that you feel good in and not what someone saids is in style. I will forever wear cuts considered 'slim' due to my body type of being lean. I had some talk to me about my suit I wore one day because he said its a 'fad' that i was wearing a suit that cut close to my body and that I needed to gain some weight to get with the times since being slim is going out the door and buying a suit 1 to 2 times your size is coming back in style.im like WTF?????
Sounds familiar. I used to have sales associates suggest that I gain weight so that I'd have more options for suits since they stock more colors and styles in the larger sizes. :facepalm:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It depends on your build as others have said. Tall and lean? Slim fit is the way to go.

At least you'll stick out in the horde of baggy sack-suits, that the vast majority of 40+ guys use ;)

SMatthews

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
No matter how exquisite the slim fit suit is, if it doesn't fit you well it will look horrid. So the rest of the guys here are right, realizing your build is crucial.

Jasper 47

Reaction score
Thanks Guys, all helpful info. IMO this suit fits very well and I reckon my height / weight ratio is also well suited (excuse the pun) to it. I suppose a break from the norm, is not always a bad thing as you say dreamspace.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads