1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Contemporary home architecture

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Kent Wang, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

I'd second the "post modern" label - just because they rip off elements of modernism doesn't make them any better than the McMansions which rip off combinations of Tuscan, greek, colonial, etc. etc.
    Yes, post modern is certainly accurate but that term could apply to all kinds of styles. Frank Gehry is very much post modern, but his style is completely different from these houses. Incidentally, I think most his work is also too bizarre and overwrought, like the laughable Stata Center:

[​IMG]

2. hypersonic

hypersonic Well-Known Member

I have noticed this trend, starting from about 5-10 years ago, of modern-looking homes that utilize heterogeneous materials and unusual shapes that I find very unattractive and overwrought. A good example is this entire development in Austin that is built in this style.

Is there a name for this type of style? Is it over-taking faux-Tuscan, or are they co-existing peacefully?

It is very driven by magazines like Wallpaper* -- and the whole 'lifestyle' thing.
    Mid-century Modern has become the new taste of the bourgeoisie -- boxes filled with Florence knoll, Arne Jacobsen, George Nelson, and Charles and Ray Eames.

For an architecture student I have shamefully bad vocabulary when it comes to aesthetics but it looks a bit postmodern to me since it retains much of the modernist box-like geometries, but uses some variations of color and more extreme angled details to subvert conventions.

Still looks more interesting than any McMansion though.

And would you really want to live in that glass house? Even Johnson himself never really used it since he felt he couldn't get any privacy (uses it as a guest house instead haha).

You are right, this so called 'Modern' architecture is very much seen though the pluralist context of post-modernism. Essentially, post-modernism is a critique of Modernism -- a re-contextualizing of it ....not necessarily a rejection of it. The post-modern context is unrestrained and often unconcerned with ideology, originality, or rules, the way 'pure' Modernism was

That "house" is absolutely hideous, not to mention the entire concept is retarded. When did creating an idiotic idea become a necessity to classify something as "contemporary art/architecture"?
    You have to be kidding me. That is Philip Johnson's masterpiece from 1949 -- one of the 'holy of holies' of 20th century American architecture!

There is also the Farnsworth House designed in 1951 by Mies van der Rohe.
    [​IMG]

Yes, post modern is certainly accurate but that term could apply to all kinds of styles.
    You are absolutely correct Kent, post-modernism is not a style ...it is a context -- in this regard, even architecture that seeks the utilitarian purity of Bauhaus aesthetics, and guided by Bauhaus tenets, is still post-modern -- simply because it is informed by the whole context of the post-modern world.

This is a recent house in London which is a good example of this contemporary 'bourgeois Modernism'.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Here is an interesting example of post-modern 'fun and games' in Canada.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

I proclaim a return to Brutalism. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. hypersonic

I proclaim a return to Brutalism.

Well it never really entirely disappeared -- it was invented by Le Corbusier afterall -- and he is still widely admired and imitated.

The Swiss architect Peter Zumthor is definately influeneced by it.
    [​IMG]

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Brutalism though, is quite unfashionable now. I think the brief love affair of the '70s has left people with a kind of hatred.

Someone like Paul Rudolph is rather neglected today.

6. hypersonic

Yeah, you are right Label King ....it is not particularly fashionable right now.

7. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Well-Known Member

I proclaim a return to Brutalism.

Please don't. The Bay Area doesn't need any more bad college campuses and filthy train stations.

8. The-thin-man

The-thin-man Well-Known Member

Howard Roark's gone wild [​IMG]

9. nathan

nathan Well-Known Member

Some Canadian Brutalism:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. binge

binge Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

That reminds me of Weyerhaeuser's corporate HQ.

11. RedScarf7

RedScarf7 Well-Known Member

It is Univeristy Hall at the University of Lethbridge. They say the hallway that spans level 6 is the longest hallway in North America. A bizarre claim to fame.

12. N. McKay

N. McKay Well-Known Member

Brutalism though, is quite unfashionable now. I think the brief love affair of the '70s has left people with a kind of hatred.

Oddly enough, I love it in single-family houses but can't stand it in larger buildings.

13. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Klein Bottle House in Australia

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Inspired by its namesake: the klein bottle. this 19th century invention is used to describe a form which has no distinguishable inside or outside. the architects also wanted to move away from the paradigm of designing buildings based on orthogonal methods and instead imbrace the complexity inherent with computer aided design."

14. freshcutgrass

freshcutgrass Well-Known Member

True...we are in one of those funks, where things are mostly derivative, if not downright retro-copiest, rather than "new" contemporary. The good news is, there are exceptions, although most tend to be too outrageous (the Zaha Hadid type places) and try too hard.

There have been a lot of contemporary houses built in Toronto in the last decade, and some of them even nice, but most seem to follow a trend. There is one that stands out heads and tails from even the best of them, and I was lucky to be involved (I installed their geothermal system).

It's called Integral House, and was designed by the Toronto husband-wife firm of Shim-Sutcliffe. The home is located on a Rosedale ravine lot, and owned by the mathematician-violinist-philanthropist James Stewart. It's bigger than it looks ( 18,000 sqft), and the budget is around $35 million (if you thought you couldn't get that kind of stinking rich authoring calculus books...you thought wrong). He lives there alone, and it's basically just a large bachelor pad, designed to hold large parties/private concerts (there are 2 or 3 guest rooms).

Every aspect of the house was re-thought without using any preconceived notions or concepts and everything in the house is bespoke...from the leather-wrapped railings, to the artist commissioned cast bronze door handles. It has a wonderful contextual relationship with both the streetside, where it reads as a modest-sized home of two floors, to the wild, natural ravine side, where it drapes itself 5 floors down the ravine.

Here are some pics, but I hesitate to show them, as they are of the house in not quite finished state, and in no way convey the amount of design detail and quality of the house/architecture (even the quality and beauty of the polished exposed concrete is better than most luxury/exotic stone).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. hypersonic

Hmm, that may be true of the mainstream ...but high architecture is going trough a major technical revolution.

Cutting-edge science and advanced mathematics are transforming architecture in ways that were not possible until now.

This article may be of interest: http://seedmagazine.com/news/2006/03...ific_revol.php

16. otc

otc Well-Known Member

I guess writing the single and multivariable calc books used in an ungodly percentage of high school and college classes is not such a bad gig...especially when you can pump out new editions with different problems.

Definately used stewart in high school, another book in college calc, and then stewart again for multivariable (I got the combined single/multi book and sold the other book...stewart was a way better text).

One possible benefit to using stewart is the widely available solutions manual PDF. I'm not sure if it was floating around while I was in high school but the multivariable solutions were common knowledge my second year of college (professors expected their students to have them and graded accordingly on *process*).

17. milosz

milosz Well-Known Member

The modern homes I seem to prefer tend to incorporate overall look/size of the Craftsman bungalow era, the geometry of modernism and use of natural elements (exposed wood, local stone, I've really enjoyed some designs that use decorative steel and let it oxidize.

The blingy Dwell yuppie developments and the harshest minimalism don't do it for me.

18. Piobaire

Piobaire Well-Known Member

I think living in an avante piece of architecture would make me tired.

19. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Well-Known Member

Some Canadian Brutalism:

[​IMG]

While some people describe this building as looking like a peacock, I've always thought of it as more of a turkey.

View from the other side:

[​IMG]

20. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

They are talking about ripping this down and starting over.

How about this:

[​IMG]