• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Contacts that work as sunglasses?

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
I have really light sensitive eyes and have recently begun playing a lot of soccer. Playing in the afternoon, in the sun, leaves me squinting the entire time and having a pounding headache afterwards. I've tried sunglasses but they fall off all the time. I'm honestly thinking about being ridiculous and using eye black at this point.

Someone told me about contact lenses that act as sunglasses, but the only thing I can find are a B&L brand, sold as Nike, that were discontinued in 2005. I have 20/15 vision, so I don't have an eye doctor, nor do I need real contacts.

Searching for tinted/UV protection contact lenses leads me to a bunch of clutter. Any advice?

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most places require a prescription to sell you contact lenses. Mostly concern if you are allergic or have some other reaction to them. Liability for blinding someone is just way too high.

So go see an optometrist - will cost you about $100 if you don't have insurance. If you are that light sensitive something else could be going on.

If you are unwilling or that's not an option for you, you just need to find better glasses. . .

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can't really wear glasses to play soccer, primarily because of the use of the head. You could use your hands to block the sun though, which is what most soccer players do, no?

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
You can't really wear glasses to play soccer, primarily because of the use of the head. You could use your hands to block the sun though, which is what most soccer players do, no?

Well if you're using your forehead or eye area, you're doing it wrong. But FLMM just started playing soccer a few weeks ago, so it's unlikely that he's mastered headers by now.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Well if you're using your forehead or eye area, you're doing it wrong. But FLMM just started playing soccer a few weeks ago, so it's unlikely that he's mastered headers by now.

duh - you're not using your eye area or your forehead but the head impacts are not compatible with wearing glasses (unlike basketball as pictured above).

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
duh - you're not using your eye area or your forehead but the head impacts are not compatible with wearing glasses (unlike basketball as pictured above).

Well the glasses pictured above are obviously not meant for soccer, but if you get glasses/sport goggles that are tighter to the head, you'll be fine. I had to play a few games wearing goggles when I played club soccer and still sometimes do for indoor, when my contacts are giving me troubles. If they're fitted well, they won't get in the way or get damaged/fall off during headers.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.