1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Contacting a girl for the first time

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Jr Mouse, Dec 11, 2010.

1. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    I never saw this as so much a "rules" thing as just a habit developed over time for the best results. Sure, I break it sometimes, but as I said before, it has worked well for me over the years to wait a day or two.

The texting thing, I can see where some of you are coming from. It's not nearly as personal as calling and some people dislike text messaging. When I do call the for the first contact, I try and keep it short. Find it's best to make plans for a date and keep things somewhat of a mystery for then.

Speaking of first dates, I almost always go for a lunch or coffee these days. It tends to make the girl feel more relaxed and less pressured. Maybe a happy hour, but generally avoid bars till we have gone out at least once.

2. pseudonym

pseudonym Senior member

^ Is this applicable to college students (< 21yo)?

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Speaking of first dates, I almost always go for a lunch or coffee these days. It tends to make the girl feel more relaxed and less pressured. Maybe a happy hour, but generally avoid bars till we have gone out at least once.
    Stick with that. I find desert to be a good option as well.

4. Jr Mouse

Stick with that. I find desert to be a good option as well.

Desert is a win too. Once you get past the first date you can always find a good wine/chocolate bar. I have seen a few of those pop up around lately. It's almost enough to make a girl go weak in the knees.

5. alan

alan Senior member

Depends on how you two met.

If it was a few minutes quick chat or club meet and then you got her number, i think a text in the same night or calling next day is a must. I usually text the same night if its someone i like. Waiting too long will cool off whatever spark or interest you two had.

If its someone who already knew you existed or saw you around or that you spent a lot of time with when you met, you can get away with waiting a bit if you feel the connection is strong.

I understand the not coming off needy part but sooo much more will determine that (especially actually being not needy) that to rely on waiting before calling to convey that is silly.

6. jenlain

jenlain Senior member

First date should be what you want to do (remember you are trying to determine if she is compatible with you and your interests). If you like to hang out in chocolate wine bars then go for it.

I prefer going for a drink for a first date. Typically on a Tuesday or Wednesday. After 9pm. Never Friday or Saturday.

7. Eason

Eason Senior member

Desert is a win too. Once you get past the first date you can always find a good wine/chocolate bar. I have seen a few of those pop up around lately. It's almost enough to make a girl go weak in the knees.

It's dessert. FUCK!!!

8. Jr Mouse

It's dessert. FUCK!!!

[​IMG]

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

I really don't like texting girls, especially if we're casually dating. It bugs the shit out of me that I'll call a girl and she will of course not answer and then text me back 30 seconds later. Every. Goddamned. Time. Why does nobody talk on the ACTUAL phone anymore?

10. style_goat

style_goat Well-Known Member

Phone conversations are more intrusive on one's time. They have their merits, but I would prefer to speak face-to-face, at least with texting you don't have to think on your feet as much and you'll more likely say the right thing if you have a few seconds more to think it over, also texting is not susceptible to awkward silences.

11. Jr Mouse

I really don't like texting girls, especially if we're casually dating. It bugs the shit out of me that I'll call a girl and she will of course not answer and then text me back 30 seconds later. Every. Goddamned. Time. Why does nobody talk on the ACTUAL phone anymore?

When do you call? If it's during the day, maybe she's busy and can't answer. Texting takes only a couple moments and can be done without disturbing others.

Not that I don't see your point and why you would dislike it. If I do call someone I would like them to call me back. A text back is ok every once in a while, but if it happens every time I would get irritated too.

12. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

When do you call? If it's during the day, maybe she's busy and can't answer. Texting takes only a couple moments and can be done without disturbing others.

Not that I don't see your point and why you would dislike it. If I do call someone I would like them to call me back. A text back is ok every once in a while, but if it happens every time I would get irritated too.

Random girls at random times. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with texting in and of itself. It's easier, you can think before you reply, etc. But damn. It's like these girls never want to talk on the phone. They're willing to have an hour-long text conversation with you about how they just saw the cutest little puppy, but once they're on the phone it's like "drinks tonight? yes. 9 works. Okay bye." [​IMG]

13. Pollux

Pollux New Member

General rule of thumb: Girls like it when guys don't play the same games they do. Don't overthink it.

14. freeAgent

freeAgent Senior member

Does nobody email anymore? I prefer it over txting. I reserve phone conversations for planning on the day of a date or late at night when there's lots of free time. The phone is definitely the riskiest medium to use, since you're put on the spot regarding what you say and how you say it. However, I think good phone conversations give a guy a lot of points with girls.

I only use txting occasionally when I want to send a quick note or something that doesn't really need a response. I don't think txting allows you to communicate as well as email and ends up wasting a lot more time and energy if you try and use it as a primary form of communication.

15. Jr Mouse

Random girls at random times. Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with texting in and of itself. It's easier, you can think before you reply, etc. But damn. It's like these girls never want to talk on the phone. They're willing to have an hour-long text conversation with you about how they just saw the cutest little puppy, but once they're on the phone it's like "drinks tonight? yes. 9 works. Okay bye." [​IMG]
    Yeah, last girl I went out with, we got into loooong text sessions in the evening to get to know each other. I guess I just figured if she was texting me so much, it's what made her comfortable and I didn't mind it at first. Didn't date that long so I can't say if it would have got old or not.
    Does nobody email anymore? I prefer it over txting. I reserve phone conversations for planning on the day of a date or late at night when there's lots of free time. The phone is definitely the riskiest medium to use, since you're put on the spot regarding what you say and how you say it. However, I think good phone conversations give a guy a lot of points with girls. I only use txting occasionally when I want to send a quick note or something that doesn't really need a response. I don't think txting allows you to communicate as well as email and ends up wasting a lot more time and energy if you try and use it as a primary form of communication.
    I can't say I ever asked a girl I just met for her email... Sure if we continue dating past the short term, but I generally keep email out of it in the beginning. I feel the same way about Facebook, but I know a lot of guys who do the FB exchange right off the bat.

16. brown eyes

brown eyes Senior member

it varies..

If I'm super busy, I wait a few days.

If I'm free, I'll call the next day.

The rules are, there are no rules.

17. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Chicks have no idea what they want, never have.

+1

18. ratboycom

ratboycom Senior member

when to contact?:
    Girl I know from school, see each other fairly regularly in the same bars, have several of the same friends and are FB friends. We made out like hard the other night at the bar and didn't take it much further. Shot her an email on the train ride home, she responded later just sayin the night was fun and she would post pics later.
    Probably will see each other at the bar on New Years, as she already told me she would be there for that, but I'd like to hang out with her outside of there sometime

19. Guttersnipe

Guttersnipe New Member

if you have to ask you're pathetically Beta. hell, you probably even laugh on the first date.

This is a joke, right? Pretty sad if it's not. I've never heard of a woman who is attracted to men with no sense of humor.

20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor