• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consulting Work - Question About Legality

Telefonica

Reaction score
I have a quick question for you. I don't know if I'll get the right answer on a style forum, but I know that some of you are lawyers, etc., so here it goes: I work as a consultant in the renewable energy field (I'm an electrical engineer FYI). Recently, due to some complicated circumstances, work has been slowing down and for the first time in two years I have not been 100% (or greater than 100%) billable. I have asked for an overhead # to charge my non-billable hours, but was told that there is no such overhead # and that I should "spread my hours around to the various projects that we have on file, even though I have not performed any work for some of said projects." These hours will eventually be charged to, and paid for by the various clients. My question is, "Is this practice illegal, unethical, or neither?" P.S. I can't edit the poll, and I know that I misspelled "advice"
facepalm.gif
Thanks for the help. 1/30/2010 - Update in post #11

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They made a movie about this. Only you were a young and upcoming lawyer.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your pole failed. It's both illegal (i.e. fraud), and unethical (well, it doesn't seem right, does it?). Your company sounds shady -- I hope you haven't planned on staying there long.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Just the fact that you're asking for opinions on this makes me believe you don't like this. I think it's unethical, myself, and probably illegal as well.

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
Your pole failed. It's both illegal (i.e. fraud), and unethical (well, it doesn't seem right, does it?). Your company sounds shady -- I hope you haven't planned on staying there long.

Originally Posted by Thomas
Just the fact that you're asking for opinions on this makes me believe you don't like this. I think it's unethical, myself, and probably illegal as well.

+1 to both of these.

I'm not a lawyer, so I can only say this seems like it would be illegal, but I don't even see how it's even a question when it comes to ethics. You're forcing people/companies to pay for work you did not do for them; I can't think of a case where this would be even remotely acceptable.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
+1 to both of these.

I'm not a lawyer, so I can only say this seems like it would be illegal, but I don't even see how it's even a question when it comes to ethics. You're forcing people/companies to pay for work you did not do for them; I can't think of a case where this would be even remotely acceptable.

+ a trillion.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Their assumption is probably that if they had an overhead number it would come from all the projects, charging them a higher rate for billable hours, so you might as well just spread them around for the same effect.

Shady.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I voted unethical only. IN hindsight, it seems they're trying to pull an enron/arthur anderson

Syl

Reaction score
As others said, it's both illegal and unethical. Everyone spends time on the beach so there should be an overhead number for it.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know what jurisdiction you are in, and I don't know how your clients are billed so I can't say definitively that it is illegal. But it probably is.

As far as unethical, I am unfamiliar with the Rules of Professional Conduct for Energy Consultants so I don't know whether or not it would violate some certification or licensing you have.

It would appear you now have a choice to make.

EDIT - To cover yourself either way, you may want to submit your request for an overhead # in writing via email, and keep whatever response they give you.

Telefonica

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the responses. I want to give a little background information.

When I was told to do this, I flat out said "NO". I said that it was unethical and that it may also be illegal. The reason I'm asking here is because I talked to another engineer friend of mine who told me that it's unethical only and not illegal. He says that he's been asked to do this at just about every firm that he's ever worked for.

I won't say the name of the company that I work for, but we are one of the largest consulting engineering and EPC firms in the world, with over 10,000 employees and officies in over 67 countries. We are a very well respected company that is consistently ranked in the top five firms in the world in our core business areas.

Company policy is not to "spread hours" around when light. I have friends that work in other divisions that consistently charge their down time to an overhead number. The way the process is supposed to work in our company is if you have non-billable hours, you charge them to your division's overhead number. In other words, the company itself is not shady.

My supervisor told me that our division, because it is so small (~30 employees), doesn't have an overhead #. I don't know if my supervisor is "going rogue" and trying to make himself look good by increasing our percent billable, or if he honestly doesn't have an overhead # for me to charge to.

Harvey - I like your idea. I'm going to get a formal response in writing. I'll let you guys know what I get. I'll decide what to do when I get my response.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads