1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Consulting vs IB vs Big 4 - which one opens more doors for careers?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by merkur, Jul 26, 2010.

1. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Take Calc II and take stat (even easy stat). Take something like a corporate finance elective. Highlight the shit out of these courses on your resume. Corp finance is easy, so is (easy) stat. Get a couple A's and that will help a lot.

730 in math is fine. As long as you are 700+ that's okay.

For someone like you, the big 3 or something similar would be best. Stay away from the quantier shops or anything focusing on financial services.

Thanks bruh, I will sleep easier tonight knowing there is still a possible pathway to a career that will suck the life out of me.

I assumed all the financial Ivy types I would be competing against were all 770+ SATs with stacks upon stacks of mathematical experience.

2. Valor

Valor Senior member

Thanks bruh, I will sleep easier tonight knowing there is still a possible pathway to a career that will suck the life out of me.

I assumed all the financial Ivy types I would be competing against were all 770+ SATs with stacks upon stacks of mathematical experience.

Mck has some weird hiring patterns, but usually 3.7+ from top schools, 3.9 from others, either that or some sort of connection/varsity sport. I don't think they require much in terms of quantitative ability, actually I don't think any "consulting" firm is very quant. Most of the math even in financial consulting is easy enough. Most companies that require significant quantitative skills (funds/risk analytics) don't hire consultants. At most I think financial consulting does debt/equity ratio and credit analysis.

3. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Mck has some weird hiring patterns, but usually 3.7+ from top schools, 3.9 from others, either that or some sort of connection/varsity sport. I don't think they require much in terms of quantitative ability, actually I don't think any "consulting" firm is very quant. Most of the math even in financial consulting is easy enough. Most companies that require significant quantitative skills (funds/risk analytics) don't hire consultants. At most I think financial consulting does debt/equity ratio and credit analysis.

Management consulting for financial services, especially within some types of FS firms, is extremely quantitative.

4. otc

otc Senior member

It's not like America's corporations have been swindled for the last 50 years through a ponzi scheme called consulting.

The best con leaves the subject unaware that they have been conned [​IMG]

As for which opens the most doors, it depends which doors you want opened. General consulting is probably going to point you to B-school and then the widest variety of doors. IB is the way you gotta go if you want to go PE (of course then you will just end up *hiring* management consultants frequently) or other slots in high finance--I have certainly seen postings even at places like Google that expect their corporate finance people to have done an analyst tour at a bulge bracket firm.

Big 4...well...I can't see why anyone would want to be an accountant. I mean, I can't see why anyone would want to be a 120 hour a week excel monkey, but I REALLY can't see why anyone would want to be an accountant at a big 4

5. bananananana

bananananana Senior member

The question is not what management consulting is in practice, and what it is meant to be, and there is a huge disconnect.

Amazing how many people think consulting is like what they saw in Office Space.

6. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

Management consulting for financial services, especially within some types of FS firms, is extremely quantitative.

I'm actually genuinely curious since I'm a math nerd. Could you elaborate more on "extremely quantitative"?

7. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

8. Albern

Albern Senior member

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morn
  9. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

I'm actually genuinely curious since I'm a math nerd. Could you elaborate more on "extremely quantitative"?

I dunno, there are plenty o' quantities to be crunched, but I don't know if that makes something 'quantitative.' This is my understanding from discussions with my friends who work at top-tier management consulting firms. [​IMG]

I work in quantitative finance. I would call that pretty quantitative. If you're really a 'math nerd,' you might find that more fulfilling.

10. ConcernedParent

In this thread, MS regrets he ever let it slip that he worked as a consulting in New York City.

11. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

In this thread, MS regrets he ever let it slip that he worked as a consulting in New York City.

Except for the barrage of PMs, I don't mind. Haters gonna hate. Just like I hate on Biglaw and Banking, others have the right to hate on consulting.

12. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I hate on Biglaw and Banking
    Get that h8 out of your <3 , brother.

13. ConcernedParent

Except for the barrage of PMs, I don't mind. Haters gonna hate. Just like I hate on Biglaw and Banking, others have the right to hate on consulting.
    Wasn't the haters I was referring to. I figure everybody including the 3 post members would be asking you for advice with inane, dumb fucking questions like "DO I RECOMEMDN I GO INTO IBANKING OR CONSULTING?" "WHAT ARE THE WORK HOURS LIKE?" "HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR JOB?".

14. bizzblar

bizzblar Senior member

I disagree with there being any real requirements in terms of major and quantitative experience. Ay my firm we have quite a few English, History, East Asia Studies etc. majors. It is just about being generally smart (or at least appearing that way during the interview process).

15. merkur

merkur Senior member

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  16. leftover_salmon

leftover_salmon Senior member

Although I'm biased, I'd say IB. Consultants are probably thought of as a little smarter (though that might only exist for Bain/BCG/McK consultants), but IB is a pretty complete work experience. You learn a lot of hard skills, like rigorous financial modeling and financial accounting, and also soft skills such as salesmanship. Also, and perhaps more importantly, it's like boot camp for the business world -- if you have a bank on your resume, employers know that you are well-trained and capable of working hard.

Big 4...ehhhhhhh.

17. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Which one of the three has the best looking women working for them? [​IMG]

That's easy, Big 4 accounting. IB and consulting pretty much only take people from the top schools while Big 4 take people from everywhere. Where do you think more hot girls are at, MIT/Stanford/Harvard with highly selective admissions process or generic big state university that accepts anyone with a pulse?

18. SirSuturesALot

SirSuturesALot Senior member

Which one of the three has the best looking women working for them? [​IMG]

Quick. Estimate the number of hot women at MBB.

19. otc

otc Senior member

Quick. Estimate the number of hot women at MBB.

You know that is starting to sound a lot like an MBB interview question

20. v.freeman

v.freeman Senior member

^ I think that was the punchline.