• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Constructive Criticism

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Just working on maturing my wardrobe...
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The top works. Now start thinking about the bottom half.

Try a clean, minimalist pair of jeans, and sleeker shoes, say a dark brown derby. Perhaps RRL and Alden, respectively, but those are personal choices.

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
Shoe recommendation?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd also switch the denim. True Religion screams trying too hard to most people, and doesn't exactly achieve a positive message.

Leverandon

Reaction score
I like the v-neck sweater with the open collar white shirt underneath. The sweater seems to be a good fit and the color is nice. I'll echo what other people are saying...those jeans have to go. The wash, the destroyed tearings and the stiching don't convey the mature look that you are going for. Try a pair of raw demin jeans. There's a lot of discussion about this on the Streetwear and Denim board and they can go into the ins and outs of raw denim better than I can, but I like this a lot: http://www.uniqlo.com/us/explorer.ht...060696-000-68/ Its a great piece of denim for the price. If you live anywhere near NYC its worth picking a pair up at the Uniqlo store in the SoHo. Otherwise, I think you can order from them over the phone. As for your shoes, the problem I see is the square toe and the heel. It gives the shoe a boxy and cheap look. A brown derby by Alden, as mentioned above, would be a great choice, but unless you can find a used pair, that can be pricey. What about a chukka boot? I'm not an expert on chukkas, though...maybe someone else can give a recommendation for a particular chukka to buy. For a more casual look, maybe a pair of Sperry Topsiders? I think that these would look good with the outfit: http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegal...7/_5298457.jpg ...and they can be had for far cheaper than Nordstrom (probably in the $50 range), they just had a convenient picture... Hope that that helps!

cahlersmeyer

Reaction score
That was great Leverandon, thank you!

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by usctrojans31
I'd also switch the denim. True Religion screams trying too hard to people on Styleforum, which comprise about 0.00001% of the population, and doesn't exactly achieve a positive message.

Correction.

Also, what people on Styleforum deemed acceptable are often times perceived as gay/feminine in real life.

Just telling it like it is.
smile.gif

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say you did a fine job, it is a well put together look. Everything seems to match and dose mature your apperance without you seeming to look older than you should.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
I'd say it's generally pretty good, the top half's not bad, the jeans, while not a perfect pairing, are good and sometimes we really sweat the details a little too much. I'm really not keen on the shoes though, something a little less clunky with a sleeker look, with a different toe shape would be nice. I'd leave specific styles up to you though, shoes are expensive and can be a personal thing.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
I For a more casual look, maybe a pair of Sperry Topsiders? I think that these would look good with the outfit: http://g.nordstromimage.com/imagegal...7/_5298457.jpg ...and they can be had for far cheaper than Nordstrom (probably in the $50 range), they just had a convenient picture... Hope that that helps!
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
Not boat shoes. Try penny loafers instead.

Leverandon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by luftvier
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

Not boat shoes. Try Weejuns (penny loafers) instead.

Weejuns are great too, but what's with the Sperry hate? They're a classic shoe.

luftvier

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leverandon
Weejuns are great too, but what's with the Sperry hate? They're a classic shoe.
Casual summer shoes are not a good look for fall/winter.

btlaxripper

Reaction score
A for effort, B- for execution

But props for trying to evolve.

Get some plain jeans, you have it right with the dark wash though. Try some APC's. Even a pair of Gap jeans are good, just make sure they fit well and aren't baggy (you have a good fit on them too).

Ditch the rubber souled, tie shoes. So tacky, it's my pet peeve. Get some suede loafers, desert boots, driving shoes, etc. Much better than those (what seem to be) Kenneth Coles you have on. Scour ebay for some shoes.

The red sweater and white shirt don't really pop. The maroon and dark wash jeans and dark brown shoes just bleed together and get muddled. Try a cardigan, or a sweater with some texture like cable knit. Do not get anything argyle, it's so played out.

Just vary up the color palate your playing with and you'll look spot on.

Good work.

mitocho

Reaction score
Get some raw denim jeans. They look a lot cleaner, and after a few months, will have some signs of wear that are completely unique to you. Overall, they just look better. Of course, taking care of raw denim (especially those dyed with real indigo) is pretty different than your average pair of levis, so read up on how to do it right (I normally don't wash them for >2 months before the first wash, and then monthly after that). If you're a sweaty guy, make sure you don't wear them and do anything too physical, otherwise they'll smell terrible. I know, it's a hassle, but its worth it ( i think
wink.gif
). I prefer japanese denim, but raleigh jeans makes a really good product as well. I'd suggest going to a high end store and shopping for them. I've found that Barney's Co-ops have a really good selection. They'll usually even hem them for you for free.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads