• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Construction Management Clothing Help

gordoni

Reaction score
I am looking for a little help in choosing the right clothes for my job. For the past few years I have been a construction surveyor, so most of my wardrobe dwidled from actually having anything nice to cheap torn up t-shirts and ragged cargo pants.

I used to spend quite a bit of time and money on clothes before I entered this field. Since I am now loosing a little weight and sporting a bigger paycheck, I want to get back to my old-self. My problem is I don't want to break the bank. I would like something that is somewhat rugged obviously, and yet still take my wife out to a nice restaurant.

What do you guys think should become the staples of my wardrobe? I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's hardly helpful. You won't find much mention of construction management dress. In the Streetwear forum, there is some talk about authentic workwear, such as what's sold at Cabela's. Depending on the climate, some aspects thereof might fit into the new style. Polo shirts should work. Button-fronts, too, and some of them could do double-duty for dining out. Washable, breatheable fabrics such as cotton or bamboo are needed. Traditional-looking denim or chinos probably would be better than cargo pants. Avoid the color white. Share more information, and people can help more, though they might not.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is easy. Chinos, buy a ton of them. Slim cut, i like Inco's in the b&S and J crew. You dont want to look like an office worker, so buy darker browns, blues and grays. Jeans - slim but definitely NOT tight fitting. Polo shirts for warmer wearer, buy custom fits. Button down collar shirts, buy custom fit RL made in HK (retail about $145 you can pick them up for about $70 or less) pretty nice shirt, but nothing so spectacular that you couldnt replace them if they get messed up. I dont mind a white shirt for construction, afterall you should be washing these every wear. I would generally stick with tattersals and flannels. Key to looking good is to size appropriately and tailor. Try the shirt on, the collar should button snug around the neck, and the sleeves should go to the base of your hand and no further. I'd probably go for a pair of Alden Indy boots, 2 pair. Rotate them, and buy shoe trees and you're all set. You can do alot with jackets in the winter, maybe a really hefty tweed sportcoat (something the english would wear to go shooting), but you can do plenty with brown leather jackets and still look rough. My father works in construction, I've worked in it as well on the management end for individual parts of certain jobs. This would be a respectable wardrobe that doesnt really command too much attention. Ultimately:
405.jpg
pPOLO2-5772980_standard_v330.jpg
pPOLO2-5773892_standard_v330.jpg
pPOLO2-5574911_standard_v330.jpg
Sportcoat to Leave in the office, on a nice hanger for going out to dinner or more formal meetings:
pPOLO2-4444373_standard_v330.jpg
Jacket for Jobsite (dont wear the shorts!):
pPOLO2-1452712_standard_v330.jpg

DavidW

Reaction score
I have spent the past 21 years as counsel to a large construction management firm in the northeast. I don't know where you are located or the size or type of firm you work for, but I suggest you look neat, crisp and generally conservative. Khakis and a pressed oxford cloth shirt (including white) are pretty standard where I am. Company logoed shirts would be appreciated by management if they make them available. Anything else looks sloppy and unprofessional to management, your clients, the architects and the subcontractors. Particularly in this economy when most such firms have laid off 30% or more, you want to look professional, detail oriented and on your game, lest you be next.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What type of construction commercial or residential? How big is the company you work for? What size projects? Are you going to be in the field or office most of the time? Where are you located?

What I would recommend would be based on your answers. Afterall Northern Minnesota is far different than South Florida among other things.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads