• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Constructing a list of wardrobe essentials

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find anything quite like this in the archives, so I apologize if I'm noobishly repeating stuff that's old enough to bore everyone.

I was inspired by a post in another thread to make myself a list of "essentials" in order to organize my shopping and save myself from making a bunch of ill advised purchases. The following is what I came up with. A lot of this is stuff that I already have, but added to the list primarily for completeness sake. For reference, I'm mid 20s, work in a professional office and wear either suits or jacket and tie 4 days a week, with a casual friday that can be as casual as jeans and a polo. I live in a warm climate that gets sweltering from about June to mid september, rainy and cool through fall and icy for about two months at the beginning of the year.

I'm looking for suggestions to remove or add. I want to be thorough but not excessive

SUITS
6, mid-weight, multi season wool. 2 each in navy, charcoal and gray.

JACKETS/COATS
Navy blazer
2 sportcoats (one in shades of tan/brown, another grey)
2 overcoats (one black or charcoal, the other tan and waterproof)
2 business casual to casual jackets (tweed, cordury, or the like, one brown/tan, the other black/grey)
2 business casual to casual heavy coats (pea coat, heavy leather or suede, etc, one black/charcoal, the other tan)

SHIRTS
8 dress shirts (mostly white)
4 button downs (white or subtle patterns)
4 casual button fronts (stripes or plaids)
5 polo shirts (black, brown, red, blue, grey)
5 t-shirts, solid colors (white, black, grey, olive, red)

TROUSERS
5 pair wool slacks (grey, khaki, charcoal, brown, navy)
3 pair chinos (khaki, grey, navy)
2 pair jeans
1 pair tan linen trousers
3 pair corduroys (brown, tan, grey)

SWEATERS
4 vests/short sleeve cardigans (navy, grey, brown, burgundy)
5 long sleeve in the same colors

SHOES
5 pair dress oxfords (2 black, 2 brown, 1 burgundy)
3 business casual to casual loafers (1 black, 1 brown, 1 burgundy)
2 pairs of casual shoes (boat shoes, driving shoes, mocs)

ACCESSORIES
sunglasses
watch
3 belts (black, brown, burgundy)
2 winter hats (black/grey, brown)
umbrella

This probably seems kind of OCD, but I don't think I'm alone here on that
blush.gif

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You've got no warm weather jackets that I can see.

You do have two overcoats,plus peacoats plus heavier weight jacket that could be worn with a sweater when it's cooler. But you live in a warm climate?

munchausen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I never see people in warm weather jackets, but I'm interested in it. Something like a linen blazer, perhaps? I was also considering summer suits, especially since now would be a good time to buy them.

Point taken on the coats. You're right in that there aren't many days I would need to casual heavy coats, and that most of the time I could probably just pair the cordury or tweed with a sweater and be perfectly comfortable.

SamSpade

Reaction score
this is a very good list (perhaps because it closely resembles my own
bigstar[1].gif
lol8[1].gif
).
You may want to look into a linen suit or two.
also, I personally wouldn't wear chinos in any color other than khaki;
finally, I'd recommend that you throw in a good leather jacket and some boots. but that's tweaking; what you have can get you through your entire life with replacements as needed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads