1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Constant vigilence

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by zjpj83, Dec 12, 2004.

1. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

It's the sort of thing that brings a tear to my eye. Let this be a lesson to the kids out there: all that online time-wasting really does pay off. I found them almost as soon as they were listed on Ebay: $325, no reserve. I emailed the seller. I asked if she could do a buy it now. She said she could. $410 later, I have a brand new pair of Edward Green Berkeleys on the 202 last in Edwardian Antique brown on their way. It's a beautiful world. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

eh, that's an ok deal I guess. [​IMG] congrats on a TERRIFIC deal..

3. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

4. Kaga

Kaga Senior member

If those were my size, I would come over from Japan and behead you. Which is to say, great shoes, great buy ....

5. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Very nice, indeed.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Bastard. [​IMG] Are those a UK 9.5E?

7. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

no, 7.5 UK I actually got really nervous, becuase she posted the answer to my question - "Buy it now is $410" - at the bottom of the auction, and there was like a 20 minute gap before she added the buy it now feature, and I was convinced someone would see it and somehow it wouldn't work out. But, it did. [​IMG] Now, the question is, do I try to get shoe trees from EG, or just rough it with some regular old cedars... Interesting about the heel - the nail pattern is very different than the RLPL ones, which have many more nails and in a double row. Do EG heels differ like this?

8. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Yes. The nail pattern is distinctively EG. I own the exact same pair of shoes. Watch out if you purchased a 7.5D UK--they are quite narrow.

I store mine in regular old cedars, since I was too cheap to buy the Green trees (~$125ish)

9. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The EG trees are insanely expensive ($90 or $100, if I remember correctly), and if they're not the RLPL ones, I don't even think that they're made from the last used for the shoes. I just use plain old cedar trees, and they've worked fine for me.

The nail pattern on your heels is the default one that EG uses. If you're placing a special order, you can ask for the RLPL pattern if you wish. I would imagine that you could ask for other patterns, too, although I don't know for sure.

10. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Now, the question is, do I try to get shoe trees from EG, or just rough it with some regular old cedars... Interesting about the heel - the nail pattern is very different than the RLPL ones, which have many more nails and in a double row. Do EG heels differ like this?
    Yes. The nail pattern is distinctively EG. I own the exact same pair of shoes. Watch out if you purchased a 7.5D UK--they are quite narrow. I store mine in regular old cedars, since I was too cheap to buy the Green trees (~$125ish)
    They are 7.5E, so hopefully will be ok. thanks, everyone

11. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

That nail pattern is sometimes used on Purple Label shoes too...

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

EG used that nail pattern with the dovetailed rubber inset on their own shoes until earlier this year. From this season on, they've changed and use a straight edge rubber inset with a single row of nails in front of that edge.

For a while RLPL shoes had an all leather heel (with many, many nails) then they changed to a straight rubber edge with a double row of nails. They have changed now to the (new) EG pattern.

I don't think it makes any difference in wear.

13. Looking to improve

Looking to improve Senior member

And mine. What beautiful shoes. And such a nice colour too, I should consider that for an EG pair I have in mind. My compliments. Thank heaven they're not my size or I'd be REALLY jealous... [​IMG] . MtB