1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Conspicious consumption

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LabelKing, Sep 7, 2002.

1. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a Hermes belt that I wear occassionally but outside of that I try to stay logo free.

2. summej2

summej2 Senior member

I would like to add another factor to this equation, and that would be the environment in which one lives. Personally I live in the Harrisburg Lancaster area of PA. Here most people may know of Gucci and Prada, but very few wear those labels let alone more discreet designers like Jil Sanders and ilk. If you're talking about logowear here it's the style G.H.A.P of Gap, Hilfiger, Abercrombie, and Polo.

One of the advantages of being out of the major metro areas is a freedom to wear quality items, logo-bearing or not, without being conspicious. Case in point: my wife does a lot of bussiness in Pittsburgh and I am what I call a "traditional luzury buyer"---I buy quality items with the intent of long-term use---so a number of the things she owns are high-end items (though many are bought vintage). While, in DC, people know she is carrying a Bottega or wearing Saint Laurent, in Pittsburgh, no one seems to notice. That works out well because what is matter of course in DC would be over-the-top in western PA. Its a shame that luxury has become about flash and not old-world quality. I find the latter a lot more compelling because, with care, such items are investmests whose costs, amortized over time, represent a better value than many cheaper and lesser quality items.

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

A lot of good comments here.

My view is that much quality clothing and accessories often has the more subtle or (ideally) missing logo. I have learned to be quite suspicious of logos and heavy branding/marketing. I also see parallels with consumer electronics whereby the more the name recognition, often lower the quality.

How many people have heard of Edward Green, John Lobb, or Oxxford or Kiton? Not many typically.

Unfortunately, one does not get recognition versus someone with a possibly lower quality but recognized brand like Armani, Hermes (love the ties, hate the shirts), etc. But we who know are probably self-confident enough to handle that. [​IMG]

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Very, very true. I see it in shoes, suits, shirting, neckwear. Quality is surely the best investment.

5. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I tend to avoid buying items with labels that can't be removed. Sometimes the logo on metal can be sanded down.

sounds like the kind of measures taken by the Cayce character in William Gibson's Pattern Recognition. She has a selective brand aversion, however.

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

I seems that forum readers as a group avoid logos except for the traditional causal wear of jeans, polos, etc.

7. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Even there, where possible.

8. Lord Byron

Lord Byron Member

Prominent logos on your clothing in educated, sophisticated, and affluent social circles either denotes a highly refined sense of irony or a desperate need for attention. Most of the time, the latter. Who do you want to impress? I heard a friend say once that it should take five minutes for someone to realize you're well-dressed. FYI, most of the Louis Vuitton handbags with the prominent LV logo purchased worldwide are not purchased by wealthy women. They are purchased by middle class women who think that the purse gives them status.

9. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    FYI, most of the Louis Vuitton handbags with the prominent LV logo purchased worldwide are not purchased by wealthy women. They are purchased by middle class women who think that the purse gives them status.
    I'd be willing to wager that most LV bags adorned with prominent logos are counterfeits, and purchased by middle class dupes.

10. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i would only wear these large logos if the companies pay me an advertising rate. i have always considered choosing apparel because of its conspicous logo is a lazy attempt at being fashionable, stylish or trying to look moneyed. in any case, wont you look better in a non-logo pair like this" [​IMG] over this [​IMG]

11. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

i like products that are a little more flashy and eye-catching. For example the Gucci Big G Belt, which in my opinion isnt conspicious but more noticable than other belts. How are people suspose to know what name brand you are wearing unless it cleary has the logo n e ways?[​IMG]??

Why should you want people to know what name brand you are wearing? Suits t have 'Brooks Brothers', 'Armani', 'Oxxford' or 'Gieves and Hawkes' logos on the inside for a reason.

12. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Ask yourself this: would you rather people who check you out conclude, "he looks great," or, "he wears Versace"? The former requires style; the latter just takes money.

I totally agree, I am not a label-wearer, I prefer clothes that are good quality and fit right and normally cost much less than the label ones...

A little example... I bought on sale polo shirts 70% bamboo/ 30% cotton, they are wonderful, the fit is excellent and are exceptionally breathing and fresh.... no logo on them... normal price was $30 I paid $15 for them....

I compare them side to side to Lacoste or Polo RL that here cost $100, no comparison... mine are simply better.... when I go out everybody is showing their crocodiles or polo players.... me I have wonderful polo shirts with no logo on them...

13. Made in California

Made in California Senior member

Gotta give it the ol' 9-year bump

Hilarious, but I agree. I want to wear suits but it's such a challenge since it's by its very nature over-the-top everywhere but Washington DC. What I've been doing is trying to seek out suits that are unstructured so they've got a much more casual feel.

I used to be *extremely* averse to any sort of monogramming because I was terrified it would make me look like a middle-class brand-whore. However, I've actually slid in the other direction a bit. In particular:

- I think jeans are better with monograms on the back pockets. I think having some sort of detailing, some visual interest on one of the pockets of a pair of jeans is superior to nothing. Just like the way it looks.

- Polos - I think polo's are obnoxious yuppy-wear by their nature. So if you try and "class up" one by removing the logo, you're missing the point. If you want to not look like an asshole, wear a t-shirt. Thus, I prefer polos to have large, noticeable logos on the upper left chest because that's what polos are about. I should note they're also much better in loud obnoxious colors like yellow, pink, periwinkle etc. If you're wearing a bright yellow polo with the collar up and a huge logo, it's obvious to everyone what you are doing. This person has no delusions of class. Take the logo off, or make it solid black however, and I might start to doubt that they are being cheeky and perhaps imagine they're simply well-dressed, which would be terrible.

- As already mentioned, when it's integrated into the design to the point where the shirt would look worse if you took it out.

- When they're out of place. I saw a pair of Lacoste gym shorts that I think fit this description: You take a logo everyone recognizes (Lacoste alligator) and put it somewhere no one ever sees it (the treadmill) and thus cause the women doing yoga to have a phase interrupt. In the same way I would find it hilarious to see someone wearing a finely tailored suit with an enormous Adidas logo on the back. Juxtapose two things people are used to to create something of interest/irony.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015