• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consolidation Sale at FCP Harry Rosen

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For members in Toronto, just got this email:

We've consolidated our sale merchandise from across the country. Suits, sports jackets and dress trousers are now available at First Canadian Place. With savings of 50% off all remaining sale merchandise, it's best to shop early for the best selection.

Sale ends Saturday, September 2, 2006.

Please feel free to drop by or book an appointment. Also enjoy complimentary valet service from Bay Street between 9:30 am to 6 pm every Saturday.

Now that summer is in full swing, it's the perfect time to add to your existing wardrobe.

Harry Rosen Inc.
First Canadian Place
(416) 981-9097

Not all merchandise on sale. Alterations extra on merchandise reduced by 50% or greater. Savings off of original ticket price.

FCS

Reaction score
Thanks EL. I'll check it out soon.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FCS
Thanks EL. I'll check it out soon.

Let us know how you make out. They usually have a very good selection of ties at 60% off and you can often find some good deals on shirts and accessories too. Not sure about suits and coats/pants though. I've never been impressed with the selection and markdowns but you never know.

gj555

Reaction score
Was not impressed.

No ties. Shirts and shoes appear to be what was left of the FCP summer sale. They did have a nice sized suit selection but no great deals.

At 50% off, there are no real steals. Corneliani at $950 and Canali at $900 is hardly a deal. (I am shocked at the retail price of Corneliani and Canali at Harrys. The prices have sharply increased over the last 5 years) The selection in 38 (my size) was limited to a couple of Cornelianis, a few Zegnas, and lots of Boss and Coppley. As usual, the only quality suit that was semi-affordable in 38 was the 1/2 price sammy that was going for $625. The sports jackets in my size were limited to a couple of Zegnas, one sammy and some Arnold Brandt, Hugo Boss and Armani.

yellman

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
For members in Toronto, just got this email:

Now that summer is in full swing, it's the perfect time to add to your existing wardrobe.

Harry Rosen Inc.
First Canadian Place
(416) 981-9097

Not all merchandise on sale. Alterations extra on merchandise reduced by 50% or greater. Savings off of original ticket price.
[/I]

Still not a pal zileri or zegna tie for $5.00

ezboy1000

Reaction score
I once worked at Harrys, in Western Canada anyway, and I know well the "creeping" prices on Canali, et al. Recently they have become notoriously slow to discount. When they do, often they cut deep on house labels and leave out the designers.

They are heavily service orientated and try to market themselves that way, really pushing the MTM business. When I was there they spent a great deal on training, ensuring the associates had knowledge of fabric, cuts, etc... Being pragmatic though, we all know they are commision sellers and the dollar rules the day.

The bottom line is Canadian retailers don't have the same competition as the Americans. The less sophisticated client, or the one who hasn't the time or interest to use the internet, merely accepts the status quo and shops at Harrys, Holts, etc.. From what I've been told Harrys is doing very well notwithstanding the prices. But they aren't getting one nickel from me, lol.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Was not impressed.

No ties. Shirts and shoes appear to be what was left of the FCP summer sale. They did have a nice sized suit selection but no great deals.

At 50% off, there are no real steals. Corneliani at $950 and Canali at $900 is hardly a deal. (I am shocked at the retail price of Corneliani and Canali at Harrys. The prices have sharply increased over the last 5 years) The selection in 38 (my size) was limited to a couple of Cornelianis, a few Zegnas, and lots of Boss and Coppley. As usual, the only quality suit that was semi-affordable in 38 was the 1/2 price sammy that was going for $625. The sports jackets in my size were limited to a couple of Zegnas, one sammy and some Arnold Brandt, Hugo Boss and Armani.

No ties!! That sucks. The $625 Sammy is a pretty good deal. So you're a 38R too... I think next time I'll wait until I check out the sale before posting
devil.gif

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yellman
Still not a pal zileri or zegna tie for $5.00

Noticed you posted last week on Andy's the $5 tie sale. What store was that at?

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Rosen has no need to heavily discount his merchandise - especially suits. For most Canadian men, he's the only game in town. I have also heard that he is the retailer that sells the highest proportion of his inventory at full price - something like 80%!! Last year too, they had simply run of ties for the final sale. The manager had told me that there were so few left that he couldn't fill a small table so took them away. They usually have a big shirt and tie sale at FCP twice a year too though.

gj555

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
No ties!! That sucks. The $625 Sammy is a pretty good deal. So you're a 38R too... I think next time I'll wait until I check out the sale before posting
devil.gif

Saw a really nice summer beige full canvass Sammy on sale in the $500 range at the Bay on Queen in a 38 but decided to pass. I prefer suits that work all year round. Actually, I was surprised at the number of Sammys at the Bay that are now full canvass.

Yes I am a 38. That is why everytime you indicate on Andy's (I go by Lawgman) the latest deal you received at "Made-In-Italy" there is nothing good left by the time I get there. I think I need to be a little more pro-active with that place or else I will lose the good stuff to you.
laugh.gif

fkl118

Reaction score
There wasn't anything at the FCP HR sale in a 40R that interested me.
Maybe I'll stop by the outlet store in a couple of weeks as I'm looking for a new fall sport jacket.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by fkl118
There wasn't anything at the FCP HR sale in a 40R that interested me.
Maybe I'll stop by the outlet store in a couple of weeks as I'm looking for a new fall sport jacket.

Or check out the beautiful Zegna coats chorse123 is selling. A much better deal than you will ever find at HR.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gj555
Saw a really nice summer beige full canvass Sammy on sale in the $500 range at the Bay on Queen in a 38 but decided to pass. I prefer suits that work all year round. Actually, I was surprised at the number of Sammys at the Bay that are now full canvass.

Yes I am a 38. That is why everytime you indicate on Andy's (I go by Lawgman) the latest deal you received at "Made-In-Italy" there is nothing good left by the time I get there. I think I need to be a little more pro-active with that place or else I will lose the good stuff to you.
laugh.gif

Oh hi Lawgman! You need to use the same handle to avoid any cross-forum confusion.

I saw some nice Sammys on sale too last year at the Bay. I always thought they were all full-canvas but a salesman (I think it was on Bloor though) told me that they those were actually half-canvassed and not full. First time I'd heard that about Sammy so I don't know what to make of it. Perhaps it's only the ones made for the Bay but who knows? The guy may just have been saying that.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
I saw some nice Sammys on sale too last year at the Bay. I always thought they were all full-canvas but a salesman (I think it was on Bloor though) told me that they those were actually half-canvassed and not full. First time I'd heard that about Sammy so I don't know what to make of it. Perhaps it's only the ones made for the Bay but who knows? The guy may just have been saying that.
Samuelsohn at The Bay are among the most under rated buys in Canada.

If you have a chance to pop into the Eaton Centre, Bay St. and Bloor St. and Pacific Centre locations, you can, if you are lucky, pick-up a Samuelsohn suit for around $400 CDN after all the discounts (regular sales plus 'Bay Day's').

The Samualsohn suits and jackets I have puchased from The Bay are fully canvassed.

Regards,

LBW

gj555

Reaction score
The Sammy suit and 2 sport jackets that I have from the Bay each included some fusing. They were all purcahsed before visiting these forums. Even took the suit apart to confirm.

I have noticed that since the fall of 2005 each Sammy that I have quickly tested at the Bay appears to be full canvass. Just make sure you feel for the 3 layers below the pocket to confirm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads