• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

consistency of office dress

newyorker

Reaction score
Help me think through this a bit ... on the one hand, I admire the purity and simplicity of well-fitting American classics (like a fitted blue oxford, navy chinos, tan belt and tan penny loafers) but on the other hand am drawn to the high-powered, finance look (extreme spread collar, striped body, white collars and cuffs, pinstripe wool pants).

I don't think it's a good idea to alternate between the two as consistency in dress at the office is something I believe is important. How do I chose? How have you chosen?

Patrick06790

Reaction score
Since I am the only person at my place of work that wears a coat and tie of any sort, I do whatever the hell I feel like on a given day.

So while yesterday was a grey suit/blue with shite stripe contast collar french cuff kind of day, today was a light grey windowpane sport coat/white buttondown/blue tie w/ little yellow dots/chinos/bucks kind of day.

When I start showing up in a seersucker loincloth, clutching a Gucci spear, it's time to move along.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mix it up at the office. One day I'll come in with khakis and a casual shirt, the next I'll be in a three piece suit. I do it deliberately. When the office environment becomes too consistent, it makes people comfortable. Comfort leads to complacency. I hate complacency.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to alternate between the two as consistency in dress at the office is something I believe is important.
Why?

Phil

Reaction score
Thats funny, Im the opposite of Montecristo. I like consistency. I think its a slight form of OCD maybe, who knows. Something about routine makes me calm, and in a business setting, confident. Not to say my way is better, there is no better in this case. Dressing, in general, is a way we show ourselves to the world around us. To me, I like knowing I will look a certain way, it soothes me. Id be all out of sorts switching back and forth between all kinds of different styles. I like gray suits, white shirts, black grenadine ties. I dont stray too far from it, which works for me. If dressing differently works for you, more power to you.

newyorker

Reaction score
(newyorker @ June 04 2005,18:14) I don't think it's a good idea to alternate between the two as consistency in dress at the office is something I believe is important.
Why?
If I wear different styles all the time it would look unauthentic ... like some sort of an actor. It's a matter of integrity and credibility.

gardel

Reaction score
You don't mention any sort of jacket or tie so I don't think the two looks you describe are all that different in formality. They are both on the less formal side of business casual. I don't see why you couldn't flip between the two.

If you were going from say buttondown collar oxfords and chinos to pinstripe suits, then I'd suggest wearing the less formal outfits on Fridays.

When I see someone wearing only a shirt and pinstripe pants, I always wonder where their matching jacket is.

ernest

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest wearing the less formal outfits on Fridays.
Do you know a song of Eminem called " monkey see, monkey do " ?

gardel

Reaction score
Do you know a song of Eminem called " monkey see, monkey do " ?
Is this Gaulic wit, charm, or something else?

newyorker

Reaction score
You don't mention any sort of jacket or tie so I don't think the two looks you describe are all that different in formality.
Perrhaps so, but I think the american classic/preppy look -- which is all about understatement -- is radically different from the pinstripe banker look.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(gardel @ June 04 2005,23:22) You don't mention any sort of jacket or tie so I don't think the two looks you describe are all that different in formality.
Perrhaps so, but I think the american classic/preppy look -- which is all about understatement -- is radically different from the pinstripe banker look.
Wouldn't that banker look be less American as distinctly British?

newyorker

Reaction score
Wouldn't that banker look be less American as distinctly British?
Very much so, and therefore I thought it might not be a good idea to switch back and forth between the american classic and british banker styles ... the trouble is choosing one of them, both of which I like. American classic costs much less, however.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thats funny, Im the opposite of Montecristo.  I like consistency.  I think its a slight form of OCD maybe, who knows. Something about routine makes me calm, and in a business setting, confident. Not to say my way is better, there is no better in this case.  Dressing, in general, is a way we show ourselves to the world around us.  To me, I like knowing I will look a certain way, it soothes me. Id be all out of sorts switching back and forth between all kinds of different styles.  I like gray suits, white shirts, black grenadine ties.  I dont stray too far from it, which works for me.   If dressing differently works for you, more power to you.
I agree with you - I even wear the same color shirt every day to the office. I just like the consistancy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads