• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consignment/thrift shops in the Boston area

TDP

Reaction score
Dear Styleforum,
Envious of the fantastic hauls that people on the thrift-store-bragging thread seem to score, I am writing to ask for recommendations for consignment/thrift shops in the Boston area. I have been to:

Goodwill, in Davis square,
Keezers, in Central square,
Bobby from Boston, downtown,

and would like further recommendations, please. On a somewhat related note, Keezers yesterday had a Rubinacci shirt, greyish with green and pink stripes, size 16, for $10. Thanks in advance for any tips!

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw a Borrelli tie for $2 at Boomerangs in JP a couple of days ago.

Boomerands Special Edition in the South End is a little pricier, but there are still some great deals to be had.

Urban renewals in Allston yields the occasional gem, but not frequently enough to make it worth visiting on a regular basis.

Apparently the best thrifting in Boston is actually found in the burbs.

emptym

Reaction score
I liked Urban Renewals when I lived in Boston. There was also a Boomerangs in Brighton Ctr. It's closed, but I'd check Yelp for other stores, such as a couple near Urban Renewals.

TDP

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
Apparently the best thrifting in Boston is actually found in the burbs.

Yes, that is what I've been told, too. Now, if only someone would expound on Boston-'burb thrift shops...

TDP

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion, gladhands. In fact, it was Giuseppe who explained to me that the best Boston thrift shops are in the suburbs, but I didn't press him for specifics at the time; I understood that the success of his shop relies on his availing himself of the treasures in those thrift shops before everyone else! But perhaps I should shamelessly e-mail him nonetheless
smile.gif
!

LooknGr8

Reaction score
If you've been in Boston, take Horace Greeley's advice: Go west, young man!

Got a Brioni SC at Sister Thrift in Watertown that I traded with a guy in Sweden.

@Global Thrift in Waltham I've seen BB Golden Fleece, E.Zegna, Prada...however never my size, and I quickly realized that am just too lazy (and lack the closet space) to buy it all and find traders or eBay it.
frown.gif

If you head out toward these 2 stores, hit the Syms/Filene's Basement and Marshall's off Exit 19A in Needham. I've found more-better deals there than at the thrifts.

None of these stores have a diamond in the rough the first time you go. The thing about it is being a regular. It takes multiple visits over a month to thrift stores. Find a good one around where you work and hit it once a week at lunch.

Also, I travel to other cities on business 4-5 times a year and I get rental cars. In off hours to kill time I sometimes hit thrift stores there and I have run into great stuff.

My secret weapon is this site:

http://www.thethriftshopper.com/city/Waltham/MA/1.htm

There it's set for Waltham, but you can go to the home page and punch in any ZIP or city.

Have fun.

LooknGr8

Reaction score
Furthermore, if you want a bigger list of my faves, PM me and I am happy to give you a daytrip punch list. Keep in mind...you can come up empty after 5-6 or you can hit the motherlode on any given day. The key is revisiting and keeping at it if you're truly interested.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads