Consignment store find

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by reader, Dec 2, 2003.

1. reader

reader Member

I picked up these great AEs from a consignment store today. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I'm wondering 2 things. 1. I don't own any shell cordovan shoes--do these look like the goods? The certainly have a different texture than my calfskin Aldens. 2. Does anyone know what this style is called? I can't find it on AE's site anywhere. Thanks.

2. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Guessing from the photograph, I would think your shoes are made from "corrected grain" calfskin which Allen-Edmonds calls "cobbler". The grain (the pores of the leather) gets sanded off and a new, shiny surface gets constructed with rollers and waxes.

I do not know what name A-E has given to that particular model (contact their customer service, they might help you), but stylistically it is a plain toe balmoral.

They look in pretty good condition. Enjoy your find for many years to come.

3. reader

reader Member

Thanks for the info bengal-stripe. I've emailed AE to find out for sure. I'll post the results when I get them.

4. reader

reader Member

Sure enough:

"The shoe that you are inquiring about is our discontinued style called Danbury in a burgundy polished cobbler finish."

Thanks.

5. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thank God for that.

All my authority on this forum as the resident shoe-geek would have been shot to smithereens, had Allen-Edmonds said the shoes were made from genuine shell cordovan.