• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consignment store find: Jack Taylor suits

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was browsing through the upstairs, back corner sale area of a local consignment store yesterday, looking for shoes, ties, sports coats and suits, without much hope of finding anything interesting (except that the owners don't know the value of Talbott or Charvet ties; they're priced at $20 each). As I scanned through the overpriced Hugo Boss, Zegna, and Gucci dreck, my eyes were drawn to the pick stitching on the lapels of a dark green suit. I looked more closely and the pick stitching was obviously done by hand, as was most of the other work. The suit had well-defined shoulders and a nipped waist and, curiously, what I think is called a western back. Unfortunately, it was a 44L, not my size. It also had a label inside that said "Jack Taylor of Beverly Hills". The suit was made for a customer in 2000, so it's recent vintage. I kept looking and found three more Jack Taylor suits, one dark brown, one navy, and one tan, all in the same size and all with the western back (and strangely, the navy suit also had peaked lapels). The buttons on the tan suit were very cool, as they were a translucent light tan; I could actually see my fingers through the buttons. I almost bought the suit to harvest the buttons, but I couldn't bear to destroy such a well-made, unique garment that may someday find a good home. I'm considering going back for the buttons, but after searching StyleForum, it seems that Jack Taylor won't be making suits much longer, so again it seems a shame to destroy such works of art.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Removing the buttons would hardly destroy the suit, but that western back might.
crazy.gif

I think they'd be hard to sell because of that.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Removing the buttons would hardly destroy the suit, but that western back might.
crazy.gif

I think they'd be hard to sell because of that.

Yeah, I think the western back is why they're still in the store.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was the suit actually marked "44L," which would seem very curious on a bespoke garment, or was that just your estimate? If they were 46L or 48L and the price were right, I'd almost be tempted to run down to SD to check 'em out!

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, if you coordinate and match well, it needn't look bad. Of course, it presupposes that the wearer isn't one who cares to wear Luciano Barbera accessorized with JM Weston and Brioni exclusively. It would be somwhat Royal Tenenbaums as in Eli Cash.
rt01.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
Of course the only way to wear a Western back is with absolute self-confidence and not a hint of self-consciousness. This needn't preclude Barbera, Weston, etc.
I still somehow half regret not picking up a number of suits that I saw in a used clothing store about 15 years ago that had been made for Gene Autry back in the 1960s. My knowledge of tailors was less developed then, but my recollection is that they were made in Los Angeles or Beverly Hills and were not from Nudie. Could very well have been Jack Taylor.
Sounds like an interesting find, especially the suit with the peaked lapels.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
Was the suit actually marked "44L," which would seem very curious on a bespoke garment, or was that just your estimate? If they were 46L or 48L and the price were right, I'd almost be tempted to run down to SD to check 'em out!

Jan, you make a very good point. The 44L label was a store label and could very well be wrong. I will say that they seemed substantially larger than my size of 40L. I'll try to make it by the store this weekend to measure, as I've gotten email from a forum member about them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads