• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Consignment Store Art Under Fire

PinkPantser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such an outpouring of dislike!

I've been asked if the artist had an infatuation with aliens, ghosts, and/or pirates? My response has been: I don't know, but those are all good things. I'll re-evaluate that stance.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I actually sort of like it, but the yellow/green is a bit much. I immediately thought of the Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria, (though the ships aren't the right shape for that)with the spectre of more dark, forboding ships following, laden with the threats of genocide and cultural oppresion. But maybe thats just me. I am a bit tacky by nature.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would look nice without any of the ships or walkway.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a very ironic gesture, something I'd expect to find in an hipster's loft along with a combination of other tacky but somehow ironic things like mismatched Fiesta ware, '70s shag, fiberglass chairs, Harlequin novel posters and an urgent presence of musty smells from all the thrift store junk piled up.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It's a very ironic gesture, something I'd expect to find in an hipster's loft along with a combination of other tacky but somehow ironic things like mismatched Fiesta ware, '70s shag, fiberglass chairs, Harlequin novel posters and an urgent presence of musty smells from all the thrift store junk piled up.

Exactly; the only way to get away with having that in your possession is by pairing it with other pieces of art that show you're aiming at irony here....But I hate that ironic ****. That being said a clown painting would do you a world of good in having people get the joke.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paint a grid of Damien Hirst multi color dots over the front and call it done.
smile.gif

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's that bad. There are plenty of things I have seen that are a lot worse: a Scarface poster, a Dali or Rothko ripoff, a talking fish, etc...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dmax
I don't think it's that bad. There are plenty of things I have seen that are a lot worse: a Scarface poster, a Dali or Rothko ripoff, a talking fish, etc...

Genius!!! Just get more kitsch objects with a Nautical connotation...

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by designprofessor
Paint a grid of Damien Hirst multi color dots over the front and call it done.
smile.gif

Did I accidentaly start an Hirst bashing sf-approved trend ? And since he's all about the concept and the author is dead, do we have to ask him before using his idea and selling it as an authentic Hirt?

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I think so. Are her items now desirable?
I don't know. It's just that I hadn't thought about her for so long. She was so famous. She was.. Cougat . Miguel Martinez has made a successful career painting women with large eyes. In Taos, he is taken quite seriously.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads