• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Considering new iMac - thoughts?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
Is it incredible? Is it everything you've hoped and dreamed? Is it a category leading, game changing best of the best computer, with an unparalleled computing experience, and the very best design for a computer ever thought of by man?

Yes.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Yes.

We all know you crack under the pressure Jon.

Mark it 8

Reaction score
I suggest you quickly run out and purchase a Shepard Fairey "Hope" sticker, place it on your Mac, and spirit yourself to the nearest coffee shop.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only people who still vaunt PCs over Macs are geeks. I thought I was a geek until I tried a Mac.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sherman90
The only people who still vaunt PCs over Macs are geeks. I thought I was a geek until I tried a Mac.

When you say PC, you mean a Windows PC, not an Apple PC right?
Or do you now hate all personal computers after using an Apple? (If this is the case, I don't blame you. Having to use a Mac at school made me want to destroy things)

By the way, I bet nobody is going to jump all over you for insulting "PC users" so I'm going to take this opportunity to insult Mac users free of charge. People who vaunt Macs pver PC's are morons. I used to think I was a moron until I learned how to use a PC.

Sherman90

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
When you say PC, you mean a Windows PC, not an Apple PC right?
Or do you now hate all personal computers after using an Apple? (If this is the case, I don't blame you. Having to use a Mac at school made me want to destroy things)

By the way, I bet nobody is going to jump all over you for insulting "PC users" so I'm going to take this opportunity to insult Mac users free of charge. People who vaunt Macs pver PC's are morons. I used to think I was a moron until I learned how to use a PC.

^ See what I mean?

Hehlol

Reaction score
I don't like how everything is consolidated in one single unit. For instance, with a desktop you have a monitor and if your computer breaks you send it in for repairs since it's a Mac. If you're like me, you have an older computer lying around you can hook your monitor up to your old computer and use that.

The convenience of the item is great as long as it's being convenient. But once something inconvenient happens, you're going to be at the mercy of a repair shop. That is to say, the beauty of its convenience is also one of the ugliest parts of it.

All said and done, a friend of mine just got a 27 inch. IMO it's too big. I'd buy a Macbook Pro w/ dedicated GFX Card and buy a 24-27 inch monitor from Dell. Using an Apple laptop as a desktop is incredibly easy. You get the luxury of a desktop and the portability of a laptop. I can't imagine ever going another way.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry to go a bit off topic here.

I personally don't like the way Apple in general prevent users from really getting the most out of their products by limiting repair and hardware upgradeability options. I like being able to get into the guts of a computer and being able to configure it to my exact specifications.

I'm a "nerd"; I build, repair, upgrade, and play games on computers as a hobby and enjoy it greatly. I just find that a Windows operated PC fits my lifestyle and budget more easily than a Mac can. I've used Macs many times and yes the OS is polished, fairly simple, and straightforward, but I've seen Macs crash many times as well. I feel like W7 is a fantastic OS and does everything I need it to do without any issues. Not to mention the games, DX11, and cutting edge hardware it supports.

My girlfriend had a Powerbook G4 during college (which now is very sluggish, probably the hard drive crapping out, and the LCD is yellowing badly) and thought it worked just fine for writing papers, playing music, and surfing the web. The problem she had was that she felt that her Mac just didn't make sense from a value for money perspective, even the new . She is now happily viewing her celeb gossip websites, listening to music, watching Hulu, and working remotely with her 13" Dell running W7 that cost her a whopping $396 (she makes well over 6 figures so it isn't as if she couldn't afford another Macbook if she wanted one either). She says that she hasn't missed her Mac one bit.

This virus propaganda that Mac users love hurl upon Windows PC's is absurd. In all my years using Windows based PC's I only received a virus once, and that was from some sketchy warez site back in my college years. As long as you, the user, stay away from whack Appreciation and illegal music/game download websites and immediately delete emails with attachments from people you don't know, you will be a virus free PC user.

Also, it's pretty easy to disable any annoying "click ok to install program" prompts in Vista/W7; you just do a start menu search of "User Access Control" or UAC, and disable that feature. It's actually a good thing to leave on for people like your parents/grandparents, so they're aware that whatever they clicked on will install something.

Sure, if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket and don't plan on playing any games, upgrading, or repairing the computer yourself, a Mac can make sense.

I know it's stupid, but those single button mice and trackpad button infuriate me to no end.

Yeah I'm a PC fan
inlove.gif

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Windows 7 is a good product - it's certainly on par with OSX at the moment because MS made it a priority to improve the usability of Vista.

When you buy a Mac, you pay for the vertical integration and design. OSX has been thoroughly tested on all Apple-provided hardware configurations. If you buy the exact same components that go into your iMac from NewEgg and build a PC out of it, the price difference will be small and the result won't be as pretty.

There is no "Apple Tax". You pay a little extra for less buggy software and a nice looking form factor.

pg600rr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat as the OP, was actually looking at them today and almost bought but then the rep said the new ones with the Intel Core i5/i7 are being shipped?

anyone know if this is correct and if it is worth waiting a month for these to arrive? Also on the apple site it looks like the 27" is the only one getting the new processors and the 21.5" is still going to have the older model core 2 duo?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads